Now Renault only sells electric cars with battery included

New Renault ZOE
New Renault ZOE

Renault finally abandoned the battery leasing for new electric cars in Germany and Italy. Late last year, battery leasing for Renault new electric cars was still possible in these two countries.

Let’s see the prices for the Renault ZOE, now only available with battery included.

Germany

• LIFE R110 ZE 40: 29.990 euros
  • LIFE R110 ZE 50: 31.990 euros
  • EXPERIENCE R110 ZE 50: 32.990 euros
  • EXPERIENCE R135 ZE 50: 33.990 euros
  • INTENS R135 ZE 50: 35.990 euros
  • RIVIERA R135 ZE 50: 38.790 euros

Italy

• LIFE: 34.450 euros
  • BUSINESS: 35.850 euros
  • ZEN: 36.250 euros
  • INTENS: 38.000 euros

Low running costs is one of the biggest advantages that electric cars have when compared to their gas counterparts, but with a lifetime battery rental this advantage becomes non-existent.

Curiously, while this business model was abandoned in Europe, the popular Chinese startups NIO and Xpeng recently introduced battery rentals to some of their electric cars. Will they succeed?

My interest in electric transportation is mostly political. I’m tired of coups and wars for oil. My expectation is that the adoption of electric transportation will be a factor for peace and democracy all over the world.

Ricardo
9 months ago

Low running costs… Ok, this needs to be said. I know we’re all EV enthusiasts here but we should not hide our head in the sand. Zoe’s running costs may not be cheap at all, even without the lease. There are true horror stories out there. Found many owners online who were seriously concerned the Zoe might not be a good car to own after warranty expires. Others were just very pissed. I know, I know, only a small percentage are afflicted. Well, you wouldn’t expect all 100% of them to have trouble, would you? I read enough testimonies that the Zoe is now out of my shopping cart. The funny thing is, according to Youtubers James and Kate, most of the stuff that plagues the Zoe is super easy to fix… in the UK, in special garages. But Renault insists on being total ar…oles about it. What say you Pedro? Do you know of any such garage in Portugal? I don’t want Renault to hold me by the b…ls. I know I’m not of the first mover type. Some might even say I’m a coward. But it is a lot of money. Oh and guys, Battery rental? Forget about it. Seriously, don’t. Everyone says Renault’s credit bank is even more difficult to deal with. One guy compared them to Autoridade Tributária. LOL, the fuc…g IRS. Who wants to deal with the IRS?

Lars
Reply to  Ricardo

I have been driving Renault Zoe for three years now, the first two years a rented car, the first year a R90 and the second year a R110. When the first car was almost a year old it broke down with a damaged engine, it took the Renault workshop about two week to get a new engine and the car running again. Because of the breakdown I decided to buy extended warranty for the Zoe that I bought slightly used after two years of renting. So our Renault Zoe has not six years warranty, that should be enough to cover any problems.
If you are concerned about problems, I would recommend buying an extended warranty, you can buy the warranty until the car is one year old, or at least that was the case in Denmark.
Otherwise I have nothing to complain about the Zoe.

Stefan
Reply to  Lars

Bummer. That was probably the Continental motor. Fingers crossed that now you have a Renault-made motor and it will love you long time.

Lars
Reply to  Stefan

The motors of the Q-models were made by Continental, all the R-models have motors made by Renault, at least as far as I know. I do however think that it only was the R90 motor that had problems, the R110 should be better.

Ricardo
9 months ago

I’ve tried facebook. Hate it. Will need to find another way.

Freddy
8 months ago

yeahp or a less specialized forum like http://www.novaenergia.net which has a part of the forum dedicated to EV’s, both car, motorcycles and whatever :p….

There are already some specialized companies doing EV repairing in Portugal..i know (from reading) there is one in Aveiro region (mainly focused on motorcycles but can also work on cars as owners are both EV enthusiasts), and you also have the network of ev repairs Evolution….

Famlin
9 months ago

Why not they sell ICE cars with engine as rental. Since departure of Mr. Carlos Ghosn, Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi is infested with 4, 6, 8 legged animals. Wondering what those animals are: rats, cockroaches, spiders.

As plugin vehicle sales are increasing in europe; they will face the reality.

Stefan
Reply to  Famlin

It’s a bummer Ghosn was taken out, but aside from what the japanese are doing, legit curious if you heard Renault has done something crappy? It sounds good that they’re eliminating the battery leasing, and their 2021 Megane sounds decent already. I’m wondering why you include Renault in the rant.

Lars
9 months ago

I think it is about time that they discontinue the battery rent. But it looked like it was well received in Germany. I would never have bought a car with battery rent, here in Denmark they discontinued it already in 2016 I think.

Dom
9 months ago

It’s a shame, that the price is still a total rip-off!
The Clio-V is about the same size and starts at 14’000€ the ZOE starts at 30’000€….
You can never make up the running costs…

Thank you Pedro for a different EV-site and all the interesting articles in 2020. I am looking forward to your 2021 articles 😀 may they be different as well 😀
Cheers
Dom

LouStig
Reply to  Dom

Well it’s note nearly as bas as you present it: Just ordered my new Zoe50 three weeks ago, and the actual price you can get from the dealer is WAY cheaper than the official 32 300€. After incentives and conversion bonus here in France, I paid in total 17350€ for it. (also including license plate, car preparation and all paperwork). And yes, that is with battery included. Agreed, you have to negotiate a bit and at that particular moment they were willing make some sales before the end of december, which certainly helped.

With more than 1000€/year gain on fuel in my case, I can very rapidly make up the difference with the clio, just on fuel! (though I wouldnt`t even consider a brand new ICE car, as you can never make up for the emissions and the tens of thousands of liters of petrol burnt during the lifetime of a vehicule)

Still agree that advertised 32300€ price tag is really overpriced though, and that incentives will have to go away and be replaced by cheaper prices to start with.

Freddy
8 months ago
Reply to  LouStig

In France you do have huge subsidization… in Portugal for instance maximum is 3000eur and only for first 1000 cars applying every year…. that is a very small fraction of current EV’s being sold here….

Rok
9 months ago

Pedro, are you aware of any price reductions for Zoe now that they have fiercer competition to fight for even higher market share due to the tightened CO2 regulation in 2021?

Rok
Reply to  Rok

P.S. Battery rental still available here in Slovenia :/
(sorry for double post)

Last edited 9 months ago by Rok
Maa
Reply to  Rok

No rental anymore when buying new in SLO. Price not going down until they can sell all of them, I think no change until the stricter CO2 emmisions targets kick in.
Ps: pozdrav is Slovenije

Rok
Reply to  Maa

Hi Maa, živjo/greetings from Slovenia as well :). As far as I can see Malgaj is still offering battery rental. https://renault.avtohisamalgaj.si/nova-vozila/novi-zoe. Same TPV from Novo mesto. But just for Zoe, Twingo and Kangoo do not have that.

Rok
9 months ago

I am thinking, 2021 will be stricter with CO2 emissions and 2022 even more. Of course more models are coming but probably they will need to sell way more cars to meet stricter targets. Am I right or are those targets not as high that Renault would need, for example sell twice as much Zoes this year?

Maa
9 months ago

What’s with all the negative comments? You guys really think Zoe would be the best selling EV in Europe if the problems would be so common? I agree that the warranty needs to be longer though, as my ZE40 has 100k km or 5 years warranty on the motor, which is too short, don’t know about the new Zoe…

Barry
9 months ago

Pedro, do you know who makes the motor for the Zoe? Renault? Also, what is the issue? Thanks!

Lars
Reply to  Barry

As mentioned above, the Q-models had motors made by Continental, all R-models should have motors made by Renault.
When I read about the motor problem, it seems that it only was the R90 that had problems, I didn’t find anything about the R110 at that time. It seemed to by a problem with a sensor in the motor that failed, why that required an entire new motor I don’t know.

Freddy
8 months ago

Don’t know if reliability or just problems for instance when recharging… I’ve heard Xoe users (specially the Q90) had lots of problems when the “earth” connection is not ideal….not being able to charge… and if early ev adopters had already charge anxiety….you cna imagine if not able to charge…

Daniel Walser
Reply to  Maa

You must have one of the first ZE40. Because now the warranty one the inverter + motor has been reduced to 2 years

Lars
Reply to  Maa

If you don’t drive a Hyundai or Kia what other company gives you more than 5 years of warranty on the motor? And I don’t think that an electric motor is more expansive than a ICE motor, the problem is more that the battery is more expensive than the fuel tank.

Daniel Walser
Tanel
9 months ago

What do you think about NIO’s 150 kWh solid state battery? Would be interesting to read your analysis and thoughts. Thanks!

Rok
9 months ago

Luca de Meo just announced Renault will start to use also LFP batteries. Guoxuan’s recent breakthrough is just lying there to put it into new Renault 5 and existing Zoe, Twingo and Kangoo. NCM will probably stick with Megane and other C+ segment cars.