Now Renault only sells electric cars with battery included

Now Renault only sells electric cars with battery included
New Renault ZOE

Renault finally abandoned the battery leasing for new electric cars in Germany and Italy. Late last year, battery leasing for Renault new electric cars was still possible in these two countries.

Let’s see the prices for the Renault ZOE, now only available with battery included.

Germany

• LIFE R110 ZE 40: 29.990 euros
  • LIFE R110 ZE 50: 31.990 euros
  • EXPERIENCE R110 ZE 50: 32.990 euros
  • EXPERIENCE R135 ZE 50: 33.990 euros
  • INTENS R135 ZE 50: 35.990 euros
  • RIVIERA R135 ZE 50: 38.790 euros

Italy

• LIFE: 34.450 euros
  • BUSINESS: 35.850 euros
  • ZEN: 36.250 euros
  • INTENS: 38.000 euros

Low running costs is one of the biggest advantages that electric cars have when compared to their gas counterparts, but with a lifetime battery rental this advantage becomes non-existent.

Curiously, while this business model was abandoned in Europe, the popular Chinese startups NIO and Xpeng recently introduced battery rentals to some of their electric cars. Will they succeed?

My interest in electric transportation is mostly political. I’m tired of coups and wars for oil. My expectation is that the adoption of electric transportation will be a factor for peace and democracy all over the world.
guest
Ricardo
Ricardo
11 days ago

Low running costs… Ok, this needs to be said. I know we’re all EV enthusiasts here but we should not hide our head in the sand. Zoe’s running costs may not be cheap at all, even without the lease. There are true horror stories out there. Found many owners online who were seriously concerned the Zoe might not be a good car to own after warranty expires. Others were just very pissed. I know, I know, only a small percentage are afflicted. Well, you wouldn’t expect all 100% of them to have trouble, would you? I read enough testimonies that the Zoe is now out of my shopping cart. The funny thing is, according to Youtubers James and Kate, most of the stuff that plagues the Zoe is super easy to fix… in the UK, in special garages. But Renault insists on being total ar…oles about it. What say you Pedro? Do you know of any such garage in Portugal? I don’t want Renault to hold me by the b…ls. I know I’m not of the first mover type. Some might even say I’m a coward. But it is a lot of money. Oh and guys, Battery rental? Forget about it. Seriously, don’t. Everyone says Renault’s credit bank is even more difficult to deal with. One guy compared them to Autoridade TributΓ‘ria. LOL, the fuc…g IRS. Who wants to deal with the IRS?

Lars
Lars
11 days ago
Reply to  Ricardo

I have been driving Renault Zoe for three years now, the first two years a rented car, the first year a R90 and the second year a R110. When the first car was almost a year old it broke down with a damaged engine, it took the Renault workshop about two week to get a new engine and the car running again. Because of the breakdown I decided to buy extended warranty for the Zoe that I bought slightly used after two years of renting. So our Renault Zoe has not six years warranty, that should be enough to cover any problems.
If you are concerned about problems, I would recommend buying an extended warranty, you can buy the warranty until the car is one year old, or at least that was the case in Denmark.
Otherwise I have nothing to complain about the Zoe.

Stefan
Stefan
Reply to  Lars

Bummer. That was probably the Continental motor. Fingers crossed that now you have a Renault-made motor and it will love you long time.

Lars
Lars
8 days ago
Reply to  Stefan

The motors of the Q-models were made by Continental, all the R-models have motors made by Renault, at least as far as I know. I do however think that it only was the R90 motor that had problems, the R110 should be better.

Reply to  Ricardo

Hi Ricardo.

That’s true, while most EV parts are actually not expensive, automakers charge a lot for them if we need repairs. I think that they are intentionally punishing their customers for buying electric cars.

People that have a Peugeot iOn or Citroen C-Zero know it best. PSA charges around 20.000 euros for a tiny 14,5 kWh battery replacement…

I know that are some garages specialized in EVs in Portugal that do some repairs for lower prices, but it’s best to go to Facebook groups and ask for opinions for a particular issue.

Ricardo
Ricardo
9 days ago

I’ve tried facebook. Hate it. Will need to find another way.

9 days ago
Reply to  Ricardo

I hate it too. But sometimes Facebook groups are useful.

You can also try this forum.

Famlin
Famlin
11 days ago

Why not they sell ICE cars with engine as rental. Since departure of Mr. Carlos Ghosn, Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi is infested with 4, 6, 8 legged animals. Wondering what those animals are: rats, cockroaches, spiders.

As plugin vehicle sales are increasing in europe; they will face the reality.

Stefan
Stefan
Reply to  Famlin

It’s a bummer Ghosn was taken out, but aside from what the japanese are doing, legit curious if you heard Renault has done something crappy? It sounds good that they’re eliminating the battery leasing, and their 2021 Megane sounds decent already. I’m wondering why you include Renault in the rant.

Lars
Lars
11 days ago

I think it is about time that they discontinue the battery rent. But it looked like it was well received in Germany. I would never have bought a car with battery rent, here in Denmark they discontinued it already in 2016 I think.

Dom
Dom
10 days ago

It’s a shame, that the price is still a total rip-off!
The Clio-V is about the same size and starts at 14’000€ the ZOE starts at 30’000€….
You can never make up the running costs…

Thank you Pedro for a different EV-site and all the interesting articles in 2020. I am looking forward to your 2021 articles πŸ˜€ may they be different as well πŸ˜€
Cheers
Dom

Reply to  Dom

Thanks Dom.

Unfortunately every electric car in Europe is still grossly overpriced.

LouStig
LouStig
Reply to  Dom

Well it’s note nearly as bas as you present it: Just ordered my new Zoe50 three weeks ago, and the actual price you can get from the dealer is WAY cheaper than the official 32 300€. After incentives and conversion bonus here in France, I paid in total 17350€ for it. (also including license plate, car preparation and all paperwork). And yes, that is with battery included. Agreed, you have to negotiate a bit and at that particular moment they were willing make some sales before the end of december, which certainly helped.

With more than 1000€/year gain on fuel in my case, I can very rapidly make up the difference with the clio, just on fuel! (though I wouldnt`t even consider a brand new ICE car, as you can never make up for the emissions and the tens of thousands of liters of petrol burnt during the lifetime of a vehicule)

Still agree that advertised 32300€ price tag is really overpriced though, and that incentives will have to go away and be replaced by cheaper prices to start with.

Rok
Rok
10 days ago

Pedro, are you aware of any price reductions for Zoe now that they have fiercer competition to fight for even higher market share due to the tightened CO2 regulation in 2021?

Rok
Rok
Reply to  Rok

P.S. Battery rental still available here in Slovenia :/
(sorry for double post)

Maa
Maa
Reply to  Rok

No rental anymore when buying new in SLO. Price not going down until they can sell all of them, I think no change until the stricter CO2 emmisions targets kick in.
Ps: pozdrav is Slovenije

Rok
Rok
Reply to  Maa

Hi Maa, ΕΎivjo/greetings from Slovenia as well :). As far as I can see Malgaj is still offering battery rental. https://renault.avtohisamalgaj.si/nova-vozila/novi-zoe. Same TPV from Novo mesto. But just for Zoe, Twingo and Kangoo do not have that.

Reply to  Rok

Hi Rok.

It’s still too early, but I think that we’ll see some discounts appear regularly at the end of quarters (March, June, September and December).

Rok
Rok
10 days ago

I am thinking, 2021 will be stricter with CO2 emissions and 2022 even more. Of course more models are coming but probably they will need to sell way more cars to meet stricter targets. Am I right or are those targets not as high that Renault would need, for example sell twice as much Zoes this year?

Maa
Maa
10 days ago

What’s with all the negative comments? You guys really think Zoe would be the best selling EV in Europe if the problems would be so common? I agree that the warranty needs to be longer though, as my ZE40 has 100k km or 5 years warranty on the motor, which is too short, don’t know about the new Zoe…

Reply to  Maa

I think it’s because the ZOE is known for having reliability issues with its electric motor. I don’t known if this is still true for the new generation.

The general idea is that the Korean electric cars are the most reliable.

Barry
Barry
8 days ago

Pedro, do you know who makes the motor for the Zoe? Renault? Also, what is the issue? Thanks!

Lars
Lars
8 days ago
Reply to  Barry

As mentioned above, the Q-models had motors made by Continental, all R-models should have motors made by Renault.
When I read about the motor problem, it seems that it only was the R90 that had problems, I didn’t find anything about the R110 at that time. It seemed to by a problem with a sensor in the motor that failed, why that required an entire new motor I don’t know.

7 days ago
Reply to  Lars

I have the impression that the Q motors made by Continental were even less reliable.

Daniel Walser
Daniel Walser
Reply to  Maa

You must have one of the first ZE40. Because now the warranty one the inverter + motor has been reduced to 2 years

Lars
Lars
8 days ago
Reply to  Maa

If you don’t drive a Hyundai or Kia what other company gives you more than 5 years of warranty on the motor? And I don’t think that an electric motor is more expansive than a ICE motor, the problem is more that the battery is more expensive than the fuel tank.

Daniel Walser
Daniel Walser
Tanel
Tanel
7 days ago

What do you think about NIO’s 150 kWh solid state battery? Would be interesting to read your analysis and thoughts. Thanks!

7 days ago
Reply to  Tanel

Hi Tanel.

If I find interesting information on that particular battery I’ll write an article about it.

Rok
Rok
3 days ago

Luca de Meo just announced Renault will start to use also LFP batteries. Guoxuan’s recent breakthrough is just lying there to put it into new Renault 5 and existing Zoe, Twingo and Kangoo. NCM will probably stick with Megane and other C+ segment cars.