Italy loves small electric cars

The new Volkswagen e-up!

Italy is famous for its narrows streets and iconic Vespa scooters. It’s no surprise that small electric cars will be the next big thing in Italy.

Let’s see the sales of electric cars in November.

1. Volkswagen e-up: 657
  2. Smart EQ ForTwo: 558
  3. Renault ZOE: 554
  4. FIAT 500: 513
  5. Renault Twingo ZE: 411
  6. Tesla Model 3: 243
  7. MINI Cooper SE: 233
  8. Peugeot e-208: 223
  9. Hyundai Kona Electric: 216
  10. Smart EQ ForFour: 170

The Tesla Model 3 is the biggest electric car on the top 10 list.

Next year, the newcomers FIAT 500 and Renault Twingo ZE will probably compete for the first place.

The FIAT 500 has the best technology, but the Renault Twingo ZE is cheaper and more practical with extra doors.

I’m worried for the BMW i3, it definitely needs the long-awaited battery upgrade and a nice price cut. Otherwise the FIAT 500 offers much better value for money.

My interest in electric transportation is mostly political. I’m tired of coups and wars for oil. My expectation is that the adoption of electric transportation will be a factor for peace and democracy all over the world.

Zvir
7 months ago

Still no affordable low cost car like italy knew once to produce. We shall wait for china.

Freddy
7 months ago

Dear Pedro… I’m not sure if this is not compromissed with the fusion of FCA & PSA… Carlos Tavares likes to reduces costs at the maximum and having 2 platforms for same size vehicles may not be in his mind. Furthermore, the citroen brand is supposed to be the “low-cost” brand of the group (to fight Dacia), so most probably this brand will lauch the lower cost car…. Believe the Fiat Centoventi may stay in the shelf unfortunatelly or be revamped on PSA’s platform of e-208/e-2008/e-c4/DS3 E-Tense/e-corsa/e-mokka… hope I’m wrong though

Ricardo
7 months ago

Hi Pedro, do you have anything new on this car? Autoexpress claims it’s on its way to showrooms.

Barry
7 months ago

Pedro, looking at the sales numbers, Please forgive me if I am skeptical that EVs are loved in Italy. I hope lower prices encourage Italians the buy more EVs. Is petrol super cheap in Italy? Or maybe EV scooters are s better metric? Thanks!

Barry
7 months ago

Pedro. Glad to hear sales are on the increase. Funny that the discontinued e-Up! tops the list. EV Scooters seem like a good fit for Italy.

Rok
7 months ago
Reply to  Barry

Italy has the highest prices of gasoline in EU. Usually, price on suburbs is some 30-40c more expensive than the rest of EU and over 50c and higher on highways (1,6-1,8€/l). So if there is an EU country eager for EVs than that would be Italy