Hyundai Motor Group reveals new BEV platform
Hyundai Motor Group revealed its first dedicated BEV platform that will be used by Hyundai and Kia starting next year.
Let’s see some highlights of the press release.
From 2021, the E-GMP will underpin a range of dedicated new BEVs, including Hyundai Motor Company’s IONIQ 5; Kia Motors Corporation’s first dedicated BEV to be revealed in 2021; and a series of other models.
- Hyundai Motor Group reveals E-GMP, its first dedicated BEV platform, for next-generation BEV line-up
- BEVs based on E-GMP can provide range over 500km on a full charge (WLTP) and be charged up to 80% within 18 minutes through high-speed charging
- High performance model based on E-GMP will accelerate from zero to 100kph in less than 3.5 seconds, with top speed of 260kph
- Components optimize driving dynamics and safety, and maximize cabin space
- Integrated Power Electric system includes world’s first multi-charging (400V/800V) and bi-directional power conversion function
- Platform modularization and standardization enable rapid and flexible development depending on customer needs
- Hyundai Motor Group plans to introduce 23 BEV models and sell 1 million BEV units worldwide by 2025
The motor is controlled by the inverter power module, which adopts silicon carbide (SiC) semiconductors. This motor can enhance system efficiency by around 2~3 percent, which means the vehicle can be driven for approximately 5 percent longer on the same battery energy.
With the new E-GMP (Electric – Global Modular Platform), electric cars made by Hyundai and Kia will get better overall, with faster acceleration, better efficiency, more range and faster charging.
Unfortunately this platform still relies on pouch battery cells in modules, when CTP (cell-to-pack) batteries is the way to go. Nonetheless, Hyundai claims a 10 % energy density improvement at the battery pack level, but doesn’t mention if this figure is volumetric (size) or gravimetric (weight).
Anyway, the video presentation above has a lot of information and shows interesting details about this new BEV platform.