Tesla Model 3 MIC reaches impressive production levels

Tesla Model 3 MIC reaches impressive production levels
Tesla Model 3 made in China

Now that Tesla Giga Shanghai (Gigafactory 3) is producing the Model 3 not only for the domestic market, but also for exportation to Europe, production is expected to keep on rising.

Last month in China 22.929 units of the Tesla Model 3 were produced and 12.143 were sold. Most of these were the Standard Range Plus (SR+) variant that uses cobalt-free LFP battery cells made by CATL.

Now I’m curious to know what kind of battery Tesla will use for the Model Y made at Gigafactory Shanghai. Mass-production is expected to start in early next year. My guess is that the first units will use NCM 811 battery cells from multiple suppliers, but eventually a cheaper version with cobalt-free LFP cells will become available. Tesla’s strategy is always to sell more expensive versions first.

Tesla’s planned production capacity for next year is 550.000 units, of which 300.000 units for the Model 3 and 250.000 units for the Model Y.

My interest in electric transportation is mostly political. Iā€™m tired of coups and wars for oil. My expectation is that the adoption of electric transportation will be a factor for peace and democracy all over the world.
guest
James
James
11 days ago

Iā€™d like to see a charging curve from the new LFP pack. Based on my knowledge (gleaned from PushEVs) the LFP pack could actually support a higher charging power than the NCA pack.

11 days ago
Reply to  James

I think we’ll see the charging curves when the first units of the Tesla Model 3 MIC arrive in Europe.

Marcel
Marcel
11 days ago
Reply to  James

Yes, that will be really interesting to see once some of the youtubers get their hands on them.

Freddy
Freddy
10 days ago
Reply to  Marcel

Yes, like Bjorn…and also get the charge curve from fastned… they’ve been making these tests to almost all newly released cars… it’s when I noticed the huge charging curve difference between Mazda MX-30 and BMW i3 120ah…. (similar size car although different format – but same doors šŸ˜› )

Leo B
Leo B
11 days ago

“Ternary” batteries, supplier not mentioned. (Only Tesla Shanghai as pack assembler).

By the way, Pedro, MIIT has changed the links to the monthly batch of new/revised vehicles. I can post the links if you’re interested.

11 days ago
Reply to  Leo B

Thanks Leo.

Yes please. Browsing the MIIT website is still very confusing to me.

Leo B
Leo B
11 days ago

I can’t find a link to the database on the MIIT website either. I found the following links by searching on baidu in Chinese (copied banner text from another document and changed the ‘batch’ number)…

Anyway, new car records are here:

Revision of existing records are here:

I don’t know if those are new permanent links, or if they’ll change monthly.

The search box for registration codes is now the bottom-right one of the four boxes, but… it only accepts complete codes, not partial ones (which is f**ing useless) and it’s case sensitive, so caps on!

Maximilian Holland
Maximilian Holland
11 days ago
Reply to  Leo B

In this context, ternary means the Nickel cathodes. I think that all (or nearly all) of these cells are now coming from LG’s China factory.

JeffX
JeffX
11 days ago

as Pana don’t have any 21700 capa in China, Model Y will apply LG 21700 to start manufacture, and follow by CATL LFP in new version.

antrik
antrik
11 days ago

Given Elon’s declaration that the SR+ battery would have “unacceptable” range for Model Y, we probably shouldn’t expect an LFP Model Y until we see some further improvements to LFP batteries…

I wonder whether CATL (or someone else) might be making 46800 format LFP cells for Tesla: that change alone might be just enough to get it over the threshold…

Pajda
Pajda
10 days ago
Reply to  antrik

I think that CATL will stay with their prismatic cell production, so their new factory in Germany will produce similar LFP and NMC cells as in China. The new Tesla 4680 format is by my opinion just too “specific”. I mean a step from 18650 to 21700 format was not as significant and so 21700 is well usable(maybe even better) in ebike/scooter market flashlights and vapes. But use of 4680 in ebikes will need new approach in frame/battery design.