Over 20.000 units of the BYD Han EV were already produced at BYD’s Shenzhen plant.
This electric car has a size similar to the Tesla Model S, but a price and performance similar to the Tesla Model 3.
Features like a super-safe cobalt-free LFP battery, good price, beautiful design and great performance make the BYD Han EV an extremely popular electric car in its domestic market and soon Europe.
Now BYD says that its goal is to produce enough units to keep waiting times acceptable.
In order to ensure a timely delivery, the Shenzhen plant has been producing at full capacity and the monthly production is going to surpass 10,000 units.
- Length: 4.980 mm (Tesla Model S is 4.976 mm)
- Wheelbase: 2.920 mm
- Width: 1.910 mm
- Height: 1.495 mm
- Drag coefficient: 0,233
- Two powertrain options: FWD (163 kW) and AWD (163 kW front + 200 kW rear)
- Acceleration: 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 3,9 seconds in top AWD version
- Two battery options: 65 kWh and 77 kWh
- Battery chemistry: LiFePO4 (cobalt-free)
- Range (NEDC): up to 605 km (376 miles)
Prices in China (after subsidies)
- 65 kWh and FWD with NEDC range of 506 km (314 miles): 229.800 yuan (27.975 euros)
- 77 kWh and FWD with NEDC range of 605 km (376 miles): 255.800 yuan (31.141 euros)
- 77 kWh and AWD with NEDC range of 550 km (342 miles): 279.500 yuan (34.026 euros)
Anyway, a production volume of 10.000 monthly units is still not enough, considering that BYD wants to start exporting this model to Europe soon.
The good news is that by using its own cobalt-free LFP battery cells in its electric cars, BYD can increase production much faster than most automakers. Nowadays, if I had to bet on which automaker will reach the milestone of producing one million electrics cars per year, I would say BYD or Tesla.