Dacia Spring Electric finally has official prices

Dacia Spring Electric finally has official prices
Dacia Spring Electric

The initial prices of the most affordable electric car in Europe finally start to appear and the first 100 units in Hungary were already pre-ordered with a price of 6.490.000 HUF (17.812 euros).

This price is before any government subsidy and includes a VAT of 27 %. After subsidies the price drops to a more reasonable 3.990.000 HUF (10.951 euros).

Customers that pre-order this electric car in Hungary have to pay 100.000 HUF (274 euros).

Unfortunately we don’t know if the first units include DC-fast charging capability via CCS, which allows to charge this electric car from 0 to 80 % in 50 minutes, but usually limited series are the most expensive and better equipped versions.

Highlights

• Length: 3.734 mm
  • Wheelbase: 2.423 mm
  • Width: 1.622 mm
  • Height: 1.516 mm
  • Ground clearance: 150 mm
  • Wheels: 14 inches
  • Turning radius: 4,8 m
  • Motor: 33 kW (equivalent to 44 hp) and 125 N.m of torque, limited to 23 kW in ECO mode
  • Top speed: 125 km/h, limited to 100 km/h in ECO mode
  • Charge: AC up to 6,6 kW, DC up to 30 kW (optional)
  • Battery: 27,4 kWh (26,8 kWh usable)
  • WLTP combined range: 225 km (140 miles)
  • WLTP city range: 295 km (183 miles)
  • WLTP consumption: 14 kWh/100 km
  • Seats: 4
  • Vehicle warranty: 3 years or 100.000 km (62.140 miles)
  • Battery warranty: 8 years or 120.000 km (74.600 miles)

Anyway, the Dacia Spring Electric will be made in China and exported to Europe, but we still don’t know what is the planned production capacity. However, considering that the Renault ZOE seems to be the electric car with the lowest waiting time in Europe, I expect a decent waiting time for Dacia’s first electric car.

My interest in electric transportation is mostly political. I’m tired of coups and wars for oil. My expectation is that the adoption of electric transportation will be a factor for peace and democracy all over the world.
guest
Sandro
Sandro
10 days ago

Hi Pedro, but if they declare 14Kwh per 100 km, it would mean that for 200km it will need 28kWh. But the battery is 26.7kWh, how it can drive up to 295km in a city? Anyway I want to see it when available

10 days ago
Reply to  Sandro

Hi Sandro.

WLTP consumption figures include charging loses. This means that the on-board charger has an efficiency of 85 % at a domestic socket.

26,8 / 225 x 100 / 14 = 0,85 = 85 %

Mike
Mike
9 days ago

I don’t get it…could you use brackets please?

Reply to  Mike

Hi Mike.

You can calculate the consumption without charging loses to then calculate the charging efficiency of the on-board charger.

26,8 kWh – 225 km
X – 100 km

X = 26,8 x 100 Γ· 225 = 11,91 kWh/100 km (consumption without charging loses)

With charging loses the official rating is 14 kWh/100 km

So the charging efficiency is: 11,91 Γ· 14 = 0,85 = 85 %

Maximilian Holland
Maximilian Holland
10 days ago

Below €15k post-incentive I think has become necessary given how they are positioning this. If the post-incentive price can end up below €12k in much of Europe, that will be great.
Let’s see how price looks outside of Hungary.

10 days ago

I hope that after the Dacia Spring Electric proves to be successful, Dacia starts producing it locally in Europe.

yoyo
yoyo
10 days ago

If it is successful it could hopefully inspire VW to make more eUPs…

10 days ago
Reply to  yoyo

Maybe, but I doubt it.

Volkswagen didn’t discontinue the triplets for the lack for demand. It was quite the opposite.

Alok
Alok
9 days ago

But, from the reports I read, which included statements from company representatives, I gather that only the Citigo is discontinued.
Both e-up! and Mii have had their orders suspended only, in order to avoid too long waiting times (for the e-up! they had reached 16 months for Germany deliveries).

If you have different info, can you please reference the source?
Thanks.

Alok

Alok
Alok
Reply to  Alok

Also in Italy, orders suspended for the e-up!, but they say they should open again before year end, for next year deliveries.

Reply to  Alok

Hi Alok.

When VW decided to suspend new orders instead of increasing production to me it means that the model is discontinued.

That would never happen to more profitable models such as the ID3 or ID4.

I hope that Dacia can keep the waiting time low for the Spring Electric.

Alok
Alok

Hi Pedro.

The good news, to me, is that you didn’t mean the orders for all the triplets will not resume. (Only Citigo’s.)

That makes a lot of difference, in practical terms, for one who wants to order an e-up!, for example.

For a few more years, one will have the possibility to make his evaluations and choose, for example, between the Twingo, Spring, e-up! or Mii.

To consider the twins as non existent is not very useful to the readers, I believe.

Thanks for all the valuable info you give us !

Ciao.

Alok

Pajda
Pajda
Reply to  Alok

There were rumors, spread by many journalists in Czechia that the Citigoe was discontinued due to the loss of 200.000 CZK per car. But recently, new head of Ε koda sales in Czechia confirms that this was nonsense and the real problem is continuous shortage of batteries. This also talks in favour of my criticism about VW triplets battery redesign from standardized VDA modules to custom VW pouch cell modules form LG Chem, which are shared with Audi e-tron. If they will continue with VDA modules, now they can choose between many suppliers like CATL, SVOLT, GUOXUAN, SAMSUNG-SDI… and particularly they will not limit supplies for their other cars based mostly on LG Chem production.

8 days ago
Reply to  Pajda

Indeed, VW should have kept using VDA PHEV2 form prismatic battery cells.

Strangely LG Chem doesn’t seem to produce prismatic cells.

antrik
antrik
1 day ago
Reply to  Pajda

They probably had to switch the cell format to achieve a decent range — I don’t see how that’s a bad thing…

Whether discontinued for good or not, it’s a well-known fact that VW makes significant losses on these models, and thus has no incentive to increase production beyond what they need to meet regulations.

Pajda
Pajda
3 hours ago
Reply to  antrik

This is not the case, original battery cells from gen1 of an e-UP! was in VDA-PHEV2 prismatic format with 25 Ah capacity, but at the time when gen2 was designed it was already 50 Ah capacity available in mass production of this format. So they can easily get the same 36 kWh capacity with replacing cells only. Today we have already available 60 Ah in this format (208e, Corsa-e, Polestar 2) so the VW triplets can easily get another boost to 45 kWh if neccesary.

Lars
Lars
10 days ago

Here in Denmark there are no subsidies for EVs, we pay no registration fee, but that is not something that would make the car cheaper. I think it is a real problem that some countries pay subsidies, that makes the EVs cheaper in that countries, but more expensive in the other countries.

Julcreff
Julcreff
10 days ago
Reply to  Lars

You should see it the other way around.
Countries that are paying subsidies are allowing EVs to get some scale economy by rising demand.
Countries that don’t, are not contributing to the “war effort” but will eventually benefit from the economy of scale it has generated.

I also believe subsidies are artificially inflating prices, but the EV market would not be what it is today if not for them.

Lars
Lars
8 days ago
Reply to  Julcreff

You should remember that if you live in a country with subsidies it is your tax money that your government is using to support the car makers in maximizing their profits.
I actually think that the EU emissions fines will do more for BEV prices than subsidies.
Here in Denmark the ID.3 costs about 7.000 Euros more than in Germany and that is before the Germans can deduct the more than 9.000 Euros in subsidies.

antrik
antrik
1 day ago
Reply to  Lars

You are probably looking at the price with 3,480 Euros manufacturer part of the “subsidy” already deducted. On top of that, the VAT rate is significantly higher in Denmark. The pre-tax, pre-subsidy price should be roughly the same.

(Same with Tesla for example.)

Lars
Lars
15 hours ago
Reply to  antrik

In Germany the VAT rate is usually 19% (currently 16%) and in Denmark it is 25%, I wouldn’t call that significantly higher.
The e-Golf was at the end sold for 31.500 Euro in Germany I believe. I Denmark it was offered at 230.000 DKK, which is about 31.000 Euros.
The ID.3 Pure is suppose to start at under 30.000 Euros, in Denmark it is suppose to start at 280.000 DKK, which is about 37.500 Euro.
The ID.3 1ST starts at 335.000 DKK, about 45.000 Euro
The ID.3 1ST Plus starts at 370.000 DKK, about 49.600 Euro
The ID.3 1ST Max starts at 400.000 DKK, about 53.700 Euro.
These are the prices you actually pay in Denmark, no subsidies to deduct.
The price of 30.000 Euro for the ID.3 Pure is before subsidies, so you can deduct over 9000 Euros from that and end with under 21.000 Euros, compare that to the 280.000 DKK or 37.500 Euro you pay in Denmark.

offgrid
offgrid
Reply to  Lars

Here in Switzerland we also don’t have subsidies but some import companies manage to offer very low prices on imports from EU countries offering high subsidies. I don’t want to know the details, but I am e.g. quite happy with my new 25k EUR Leaf. Car dealers are essentially horse dealers transformed to the 21st century… I admire them in a way! So I am looking forward to stupidly subsidised Spring Electrics from the EU…

Lars
Lars
8 days ago
Reply to  offgrid

I hoped for that too, but late last year when I was looking for a BEV in Germany they didn’t seem to be cheaper and some dealers didn’t want to sell the BEV for export. I ended with buying a BEV in Denmark. There are some companies that import BEV, mainly from Germany to Denmark, but they are not cheaper.

Famlin
Famlin
10 days ago

Great price, will they produce at the max level or its just to earn credits / avoid fines.
14 KWh/100 km translates to 7.14 km / KWh. Tesla Model 3 has 6.66 km / KWh.
Now Model 3 mileage increased by 5.2% which should put it to 7.01 km / KWh.
Model 3 is much bigger, faster, has longer range and comes in luxury category.
So the 7.1 km / KWh rating is not very efficient for Dacia Spring with a smaller battery that weighs lesser.
Making efficient motors is not that easy, hope they learn soon.

Ricardo
Ricardo
10 days ago
yoyo
yoyo
Reply to  Ricardo

The article you link is for a 2018 and it states…
“By 2019 when the enhanced safety norms kick in for existing models, the Kwid is expected to have a reinforced body shell, standard air bags and ABS.”

Apples and Oranges plus the EU version could very well be even more different which could be some of the increased price…

Ricardo
Ricardo
7 days ago
Reply to  yoyo

Euro version will have two airbags extra and some kind of electronic driver assist system. It will barely be able to pass minimum rules. The incredibly incapable motor is the give away. It’s a golf cart. A very expensive one, at this price. Do not buy this car without thoroughly testing it, for a week (or two). In 1999, uncle of mine bought a hyundai Galloper. That POS was a death trap. Amazing how it still drives without ever having killed anyone. I would still not buy it. I’m baffled they could legally sell it in Europe. So, during your test drive, beware of active safety, not just Euro Ncap stars.
PS Will happily eat my hat if proven wrong.
PS2 By proven wrong, I mean, test drive this thing for a whole month. Nice youtube reviews not enough in this case

Freddy
Freddy
10 days ago

I find it a bit expensive based solely on the presented capabilities and what I believe to be quality of interiors/car…. (similar to japanese city cars)… a 15KEUR I believe is a more reallistic price for this car…
Subsidies is really bad (i my opinion), I would much rather have higher taxes over ICE’s… I think manufacturers are just making more money with the subsidies they are having (putting a very high markup on price)…

Reply to  Freddy

That’s also what I think.

Subsidies are keeping prices artificially inflated.

The problem is that most politicians think that higher taxes are always unpopular, even when applied to polluting products. You notice that in Portugal every time the government raises taxes on fossil fuels, most opposition parties and the media cry about it.

Alex
Alex
9 days ago

It is unpopular. I know many many people who only buy 2nd hand cars but if taxes on new ICE cars were increased they would automatically vote for a different political party, because they should not be putting any extra taxes on us hard working people. These tend to be the same idiots who voted for Brexit.

Freddy
Freddy
Reply to  Alex

Easy…. instead of increasing taxes on Ice’s, you just unsubsidize oil refineries, diesel prices (Portugal), etc…. same outcome though….

People want ICE and EV’s to have same price… but initial cars were much more expensive than horses…. a today’s iphone, is much costlier than a Nokia 8850… I don’t see people complaining…. (I for once keep my 200 EUR/mobile budget everytime I buy one…)

I had a Nokia 6210 20 years ago which was upper market but now running a Huawei mate 10 lite with 2 years (more on the affordable side)… I only trade phones when performance or batterylife really sucks already, so everytime I buy a new phone it is a big leap in performance πŸ™‚

alex
alex
9 days ago

How is the 14Kwh per 100km calculated? Where did that number come from?

Reply to  alex
alex
alex
Reply to  alex

never mind i saw the text above lol

alex
alex
9 days ago

17.800 euro’s with 27% tax in Hungary would be 16.900 with 21% tax. If it is translated 1:1 then it is not15.000 euro’s some thought but pretty near.

Reply to  alex

Usually initial units belong to limited editions that are more expensive and better equipped. The cheaper entry-level version should arrive later.

LouStig
LouStig

Hi Pedro,
Been following your posts silently for over a year now, and would like to thank you very much for the factual and interesting articles, as well as the follow-up in the comments section (none of the BS and false-sensationalism found on other clickbait forums).
Regarding the Spring, do you know what type of cell chemistry they will use?
I feel rather disappointed by their 120 000km warranty. I expected they’d use LFP with an associated long life.
Accepting minimal performance is one thing I was rather prepared to, but don’t you think this very short battery pack warranty mileage is rather worrying?

LouStig
LouStig
Reply to  LouStig

Update: Just (re-)found your article from june, where you predicted NCM 712 from LG Chem.
Is the shorter life (or at least shorter warranty) associated with a low-cost TMS? Or could it be due to the tiny battery that’s going to cycle a lot more than the same cells in a Zoe?

nono538
nono538
Reply to  LouStig

If it’s same battery pack as for the Renault K-ZE in China, should be NMC cells from Lishen, w/o any cooling

8 days ago
Reply to  LouStig

Hi LouStig, thanks for the kind words.

I think that nono538 is probably right. It makes sense to use the same battery pack as the Renault City K-ZE.

However, the production of the Renault City K-ZE in China seems to be on hold for some months now and only 242 units were sold in the whole year.

I’ll try to find more information on that topic.

Freddy
Freddy
8 days ago

I read that this is due to the restructuring of the alliance and the decision of Renault to leave ICE manufacturing and sales in China…it seems they have sold/cancel the local JointVemture and now don’t have a company to market the vehicles…. If this is true, it is really a shot in the foot IMHO… it seems there are many ready vehicles in the factory just lying there…read it here: https://forococheselectricos.com/2020/09/renault-city-k-ze-dacia-spring.html

7 days ago
Reply to  Freddy

Thanks Freddy.

It seems very poor planning by Renault, especially now that the Chinese electric car market is booming.

Freddy
Freddy
7 days ago

If confirmed it is indeed..

antrik
antrik
1 day ago

It’s made worse by the fact that since the rule change in June, it no longer qualifies for any subsidies in China — so even when they find a new distributor, it will be very hard to sell these cars they already made…

Michal Kaut
Michal Kaut
9 days ago

I assume the quoted price is for the base model. Any update on what this does _not_ include?
On the initial announcement, one Norwegian outlet stated that the base model lacks not only DC charging, but also air condition, multimedia system, and electric rear mirrors…

Freddy
Freddy
8 days ago
Reply to  Michal Kaut

that seems right for the base Dacia… usually base models from this brand are quite stripped down/spartan of equipment.

As orders supposedely will only occur in Spring for deliveries in Q3 2021… we have long time to check all details of the car…