NCM 90: successor of NCM 811 battery cells

Yoon Ye-seon, head of SK Innovation's Battery Business Division
Manuel
1 year ago

When reading about batterys a few years ago, I came across a new exciting development that was supposed to bring many benefits in terms of capacity, longevity and price: graphene. Since then, near to nothing has come up. Can this be the promised future we’re hoping for batterys, but still in development and unable to be commercialized just yet?

Ricardo
1 year ago

There was a time when we were told that graphene would replace whatever it is they put inside Big Macs. Nothing came out of it. In fact, is there any use at all for the magical unicornian graphene? I wonder

woots
1 year ago

I wonder if there is a site that lists all battery chemistries, and their progress towards being available?

Io nel
1 year ago

NCM 523 seems the best of all….

Q
1 year ago

“I’ll leave anodes (…) to another time.”
And yet, you begin with LTO which is exactly ANODE’s abbreviation.
Plus what is the reference for the Cost scale? 5 stars is good or bad?

janesh
1 year ago

I choose for NCM 111 in my BMW i3s, for the safety and cycle life.

janesh
1 year ago

I own a 94 Ah i3S rex with NCM 111, my second i3 rex and this one will stay.

DistWave
1 year ago

What about Samsung SDI 37 Ah PHEV2 cells used in the Volkswagen e-Golf 2017 battery? Do you know what chemistry do they use?

Q
1 year ago

1. Then you are badly misinformed – NCM 811 is very expensive due to high additional surface processing costs. Otherwise it is going to crack and break before used.
2. BU is no better for me than any other random source – they are not cross-checking their data, nor correcting them if pointed directly on the mistake. However, they clearly mentioning LTO being anode paired with NMC or LMO, which was omitted in the original revision of your post. (Plus LTO is also used with LFP where the energy density is not that important).
3. No 333 or 523 or 622 or 811 is equal between material suppliers and cell producers. It is like comparing tires just based on their dimensions. What you show here is simple “theoretical” and “marketing” subjective summary. Nevertheless, good to know someones own point.
4. No need. I rarely comment technical posts as I know how big PitA I can be. Just having worse day and couldn’t stop myself.

Ugo
1 year ago

Maybe, you addressed this in some other article. Is there any difference in degradation by cycling the battery more often between 3-4 V, as compared to a lower number of cycling between 2.8-4.1 V?

Carlos
1 year ago

What do you think of solid-state batteries? Do you think they’ll be used in the near future?

MattC
1 year ago

So, to dumb this down to the max, trend is to increase Nickel content and reduce manganese and cobalt, as the latter are more expensive. While LFP will stay on as battery of choice for buses. Is that right?

James
1 year ago

Excellent summary of current state of play in cell chemistry.
Without pushevs I wouldn’t know any of this.
Thank you Pedro, I always look forward to your posts.

mg

Hello Pedro,
I am a bit uneasy with Your chemistries ratings i.e. NCA is rated better or the same as NCM 111 in all respects, which begs the question why produce NCM 111 at all. Only explanation would be that some manufacturers do not have the technology, but I don’t really think that is the case, and NCM 111 actually is better in some areas.

Considering AESC is going to introduce NCM111 next year, are we going to see next update of LEAF sometimes in 2021?
Thanks for the post. It is always a pleasure to read something this informative.

Tom Houlden
1 year ago

It should be interesting to see how battery chemistry criteria change in favor of charge rate, when every former gas station ends up with a bank of 350+kW chargers that would recharge the avg US daily drive in under 2 minutes.

jumpjack
1 year ago

I can’t find any study about safety differences between 523/622/811/90 , I only know that safety is decreasing as Managanese percentage is decreasing.
Any specific paper about this?