2020 Kia Soul EV gets EPA rates

Kia Soul EV EPA rates evolution since 2015
MNMN
2 years ago

Same battery?
The Soul was told to get the cells from SK Innovation, while Kona from LG.
Did they changed this?

Apkungen
2 years ago

The biggest improvement is at highway efficiency which is key to good range in reality.

Ricardo
2 years ago
Reply to  Apkungen

I hear you. Who wants to know EPA range? I’m not planning on driving around Paris until I run out of battery. We need a new test already. Motorway only.

Terawatt
2 years ago
Reply to  Apkungen

Agree. Unless you’re talking about energy COST, city range doesn’t matter, combined range doesn’t matter, only highway range is actually relevant!

Jean-Franรงois
2 years ago

Hi Pedro, I believe there were some aerodynamics improvements also for this new Soul,.

Stefanovic
2 years ago

What about the price? Is this already announced?

tom houlden
2 years ago

I was at a Hyundai dealership yesterday with a friend who recently retired from 30 years at Hyundai US headquarters. She bought a gas Kona to drive until she can get a retiree deal on the EV.

After, the salesman asked if there was anything else he could do for us, & we both said “Ya! Get us an eKona!”. He chuckled & said “see you in a few years” They have 8 customers waitlisted & are only getting 7.

He said that the customers are paying $5,000 over list price, & that all dealers agreed to do that, except one who is getting $10k over list!!!

Henrik
2 years ago
Reply to  tom houlden

Wonder what the reaction would have been if one had told the Hyundai board in 2016 that they would soon be selling mid sized cars for the price of a Mercedes C class and still have year a long que with people paying over list price?

tom houlden
2 years ago

Ricardo: EPA already gives us a separate number for highway range. 2020 Soul is 215 miles (346 km).

I get 10% more than the EPA spec for my 500e in the city. I haven’t tested highway range. Many of us do drive around town day after day until we get low, although I think most just plug in when they get home, so it’s full in the morning.

Even though a standard wall outlet will recharge the average daily drive overnight, many (most?) ICE drivers can’t plug in at home, so to convert them I think we’ll need 100kW DC at every gas station.