Toyota keeps pushing anti-EV propaganda

Toyota keeps pushing anti-EV propaganda
Toyota Corolla 2019 TV Advert - 60

Toyota keeps marketing its hybrids asย self-charging hybrids. Because all-electric cars suck and most drivers get stranded on the side of the roads, right?

We all remember those days when Hollywood celebrities bought Toyota Prius to show their green credentials. Nowadays, by refusing to adapt to change, Toyota completely lost this very influential niche to Tesla. This niche is even more influential now with the massification of social media.

Toyota’s recurrent argument for not adopting BEVs (Battery Electric Vehicles) is completely false. Toyota says that current Li-ion battery technology isn’t good enough to produce great electric cars, while at the same time continues to use the obsolete nickel-metal hydride battery technology in most of its hybrids…

Not having the perfect battery technology didn’t prevent Toyota from making hybrids, yet it seems to prevent Toyota to produce BEVs… Waiting for the perfect technology is just an excuse to keep the status quo.

In the meantime, Toyota keeps losing previously loyal customers to Tesla.

Anyway, in the advert below you can see the amazing “self-charging” Toyota Corolla Hybrid and an EV driver stranded in the desert.

I still remember when I saw a Toyota’s high-rank employee saying that the company didn’t like BEVs because they were very simple, even startups could make them, while good hybrids were very complex and required the knowledge that only Toyota had. This is why I think that Toyota hates BEVs, they’ll result in more competitors.

Anyway, a world where everything runs on gas, but is also “self-charging” would be very similar to this one imagined by Nissan… Great right?

While it’s annoying, I’m not even outraged like some EV fans with Toyota’s anti-EV propaganda. To me is just sad to see Toyota – that once was an innovator – becoming obsolete day by day, just like Nokia or Kodak.

My interest in electric transportation is mostly political. Iโ€™m tired of coups and wars for oil. My expectation is that the adoption of electric transportation will be a factor for peace and democracy all over the world.
guest
Vytautas
Vytautas
1 year ago

Toyota is waiting for infrastructure. After that they will present BEV with range 500+ km. This will happen next year or second year ๐Ÿ™‚

Phil M
Phil M
1 year ago

I rented a 2019 Toyota Yaris “hybrid” recently. It was woeful (slow, no remote cabin warming, outdated interior, etc…). Had to drive it “Miss Daisy style” to get decent mpg. Didn’t need to worry about that in my 2015 (let alone 2019) Zoe BEV ๐Ÿ™‚

Valter Tรบbal
Valter Tรบbal
1 year ago

Well… with more EVs models available in Europe, Lexus will take a hit as it did in the US. When more afordable EVs are available everywere Toyota will take a hit… until then “let’s stick to the plan and our 20 year roadmap”.

Henrik
Henrik
1 year ago

How did Toyota loose the plot here? They had the original RAV4 EV which was (by 1998 standards) awesome. Then they had the Prius. Then somewhat reluctantly released the plug-in version of the Prius.

I’ve noticed that in Sweden the Prius cars you see are usually the II generation. The Prius lost its appeal as pure EVs emerged and sales must have suffered. Prius is no longer a green statement. Zoe or Leaf is.

I was into a nearby BMW dealer the other day: One i8 and six or seven i3’s in the hall, several 225xe, a 530e and 330e. Too late for Toyota to get back their green credentials.

BillB
BillB
1 year ago

They haven’t lost any plot. They have a 50 year plan, billions in the bank and 40+ manufacturing plants around the world. Just because a few battery fanatics bash them means nothing.

Jani
Jani
Reply to  BillB

Word!

Ove A
Ove A
Reply to  BillB

Well, that was the same attitude Nokia, Motorola, Ericsson and tons of other cellphone manufacturers showed when the Iphone arrived. And how did that go?

Igor Luลกtrek
Igor Luลกtrek
1 year ago

What is so green (green credentials) about electric vehicles?

Jason
Jason
1 year ago

Still? Go and educate yourself.

Thoralf Will
1 year ago

Toyota clearly dropped the ball a few years ago and still didn’t manage to catch up.
They try the same tactics that failed for Volkswagen already: Bash EVs, hoping to sell their outdated hardware.

It won’t work. More and more people realize that the ICE age is over.

Bim
Bim
1 year ago

This is one of the reasons i walked out of the Toyota dealer and dont even consider cars from Toyota anymore.

Henrik
Henrik
1 year ago

I won’t get into the argument over objective environmental benefits. What matters is perception. And Toyota can’t uphold their green image with their current offerings. I’m sure they will have EVs by 2025, just like there are Peugeot plug-in hybrids today. But say hybrid and people think Toyota. Peugeot is like the last company you think of when mentioning hybrids.

Terawatt
Terawatt
1 year ago

Toyota will make electric cars within five years. And the market will still be in its infancy. I’m feeling the opposite of Pedro โ€” outraged by their sleazy, lying commercials, and not in the least sorry for them.

About 50% of Americans still haven’t heard of a zero emissions vehicle. The condo I live in, in electric car heaven Norway, is full of older people who believe new diesel engines is the future. Or hydrogen. We just had a meeting in which it was decided to have all parking spaces in our common garage equipped with electricity for a wallbox, but I already have a 16A circuit (with over-voltage protection, ground error protection, fuse, and it’s own meter so I can pay for my use) and only one person at the meeting had concrete plans to go electric.

Toyota is late to the party for us electric car nuts. But globally very few people have much clue and don’t care. I don’t think losing Hollywood is going to make any difference. Provided they make a boring, sensible, cheap, and reliable BEV in the next few years, in other words a typical Toyota, they’ll be just as competitive as ever.

(And I know they can make good cars that are fun. They’re just atypical for the brand. MR2 was always sharp and GT86 always fun. But Corolla and Camry is what they’re all about!)

Oleksiy
Oleksiy
1 year ago

I recall how VW was very late for a crossover SUV / CUV party in Europe with their Tiguan. But it finally arrived and crushed all competition with ease and grace. I’m not saying this will necessarily happen to Toyota once it chooses to produce a BEV in 2-3 or 5 years, but it very well may be. And with total Toyota sales of 10.44 million vehicles in 2018 (up 2% from 2017), I believe they are still far away from being obsolete.

Granted, they’ve always been very slow at picking up new tech trends in their business. I’m speaking about smallish turbo charged engines, diesel engines, robot transmissions. It never precluded them from successfully competing with more innovative brands though. Let’s see how it goes

Carlos
Carlos
1 year ago

O rรกcio Like/Dislike do vรญdeo estรก muito engraรงado. ร‰ maioritariamente “Dislike”. ๐Ÿ˜€

Carlos
Carlos

Did Toyota hid the ad?? Ahah
Now on their channel they have a shorter ad, where they cut out the BEV scene. I’m talking about this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYoHwpEg4fY

Edd
Edd
1 year ago

Hey! TOYOTA is right! I have a 2004 Prius, the NiMh Battery works fine! A actual LiIon or LiFepo4 will never … NEVER last 10 Years+ NEVER. See all the ZOE`s and LEAF`s …. AND TESLA! Battery Changing in case of Degeneration is normaly “Day`s Scene”
A BEV wit Range of 150km (100 in Winter) is not fine! OK, an IONIQ is a good Solution, 250km (190 Winter) but in 2025, also with 7 Year old Battery the Range will be @? 190 to 140km ??? That is not good and NOT GREEN!

My old PRIUS, 3,7L/100km, is more GREEN than all other BEV!! Then GREEN is:

o Long Lifetime!
o No extensive repairs!
o Low Consumtion!
o Low Pollution
o Low Noise emissions.

I drive my Prius untill 2020 – 2022, than TOYOTA will come with Hydrogen or good BEV wit real 400km AND long Lifetime!

Greets from Europe!

Carlos
Carlos
Reply to  Edd

Where’s your proof the battery won’t last 10+ years? Many, if not all, of manufacturers offer 8 year warranty in the battery, why would they do that if a battery is so prone to degradation? To offer that they must be confident that a battery can retain most of its capacity after 8 years. Therefore if it can last 8 years it can last some years more. Nevertheless we already have data showing that the degredation slows down at 90% of capacity for teslas, at least. For others is probably similar.

Current BEVs like 40kWh Zoe and Leaf can do more than 150km, even at highway speeds. Additionally if we include Teslas then it’s much more, probably around 400km at highway speeds or more at lower speeds. Furthermore this year are coming out more BEVs with range around 400km too, like the new Zoe, Leaf e+, Kia eNiro and Hyundai Kauai.

Everything you mentioned as advantage of the Prius for being greener, the BEVs are better lol. Except maybe the Prius is a bit better regarding its lifetime, but i’m not even sure, because it’s more complex than a BEV, so it requires more maintenance and probably more components to replace. In a BEV besides the typical car components, like tyres and brakes, there’s not much to replace or degrade, except the battery. However it should still last 10+ years with most of its capacity, so it’s not a big deal.

chris
chris
Reply to  Edd

hello Toyota Europe ๐Ÿ˜€

ATOYOT
ATOYOT
Reply to  Edd

You don’t seem to realize that Toyota fell on its face with their Hydrogen car push and you also seem to think Hydrogen is some kind of green tech.

Seems us green-minded consumers know that it takes fracking, methane, heat, fresh water to produce a lot of CO2 and some Hydrogen.

loog
loog
1 year ago

Another version of the “What if…” Commercial (everything runs on gas…)

loog
loog
Reply to  loog
ATOYOT
ATOYOT
1 year ago

I just noticed the license plate on the EV in that commercial.

“Asss WOW”

Blobby
Blobby
1 year ago

Going by Toyota’s logic my Transit van is self charging… Well it has a 12v battery which miraculously charges by me driving it..