2018 Renault Zoe R110 orders start next month

2018 Renault Zoe R110 orders start next month
Renault Zoe R110 with new blueberry purple color

Today in a press release, Renault finally confirmed the rumors that a new R110 motor for the Zoe was coming this year.

“Renault has revealed its new R110 electric motor and the 2018 model-year ZOE, Europe’s best-selling electric vehicle, which will be the first Renault EV to feature this 80kW powerplant which combines extra power with even greater driving enjoyment. Despite being the same size as the R90, the R110 is 12kW (16hp) more powerful than its predecessor. Drivers will benefit from crisper acceleration performance on trunk roads, since the new motor shaves almost two seconds off ZOE’s 80-to-120kph time. This is a significant improvement which provides even greater peace of mind at higher speeds.. At lower speeds, meanwhile, the R110 packs the same punch as the R90 from which it is derived thanks to the instant availability of peak torque of 225Nm, making ZOE as nimble as ever in urban areas.”

This is how Renault resumes it…

• Renault has introduced a new 80kW electric motor, coming first on ZOE

• The new R110 motor provides ZOE with extra punch and greater versatility when driving outside urban areas

• The 2018 model-year ZOE features Android Auto compatibility and the addition of an exclusive new body colour

It seems that the new 80 kW motor will power other Renault electric cars someday in the future, since Renault says that it comes first on the Zoe.

Now this is just my wish, but now that the Zoe has the R110 motor and the ZE40 battery, Renault could bring the Twingo ZE with a R75/R90 motor combined with a ZE20 battery and it wouldn’t cannibalize sales… Don’t you think?

Renault could use the same LG Chem battery cells to build the ZE20 battery pack, but instead of 192 cells it would be using only half (96).

This way Renault would anticipate the arrival of the new VW electric city trio (Volkswagen e-up, Seat e-Mii and Skoda e-Citigo)…

Moving on, now lets take a look at the specs below.

Renault Zoe R110 motor specs

The new Renault Zoe R110 has an estimated WLTP range of 300 km, which is more than what the new 2018 Nissan Leaf gets.

Furthermore, this electric car will keep the very useful 22 kW on-board charger and the only thing that’s missing for long-distance travels it’s the CCS fast charging capability. If Renault doesn’t announce it at Geneva motor show and delays it to next year it will be a major disappointment. While the current ZE40 batteries can’t sustain very high charging rates, it would be possible to maintain 40 kW via CCS. Faster charging (100 kW) should only be expected for a complete new generation with new batteries.

Anyway, if you live in France you can order the new Renault Zoe R110 already next month.

What do you think? Does a more powerful Zoe make the introduction of the long-delayed Twingo ZE closer to reality?

Erwin
2 years ago

Renault EV ball is definitely beginning to spin: apart ZOE, that motor is apparently designed for larger cars to come and to long live.

Renault is putting some pieces of the EV puzzle on the table.

Ricardo
2 years ago

I still think this new WLTP is pretty useless. I wish they had a 120 kph on a mostly flat road test. EPAs and such were useful in the early days, when you could actually run out of battery during your normal day of work. With 40 kwh of battery, 400 and something km of city driving, yeah, I think there’s not much danger of running out of juice when showing Porto to a foreign friend. All I want to know is, Porto to Lisbon, 120 kph, with and without air conditioning.

Magnus H
Reply to  Ricardo

Everybody has a different driving patterns, how many car trips are 120 km/h for many hours?

It’s the same standard for all cars, not just electrics.

Ricardo
Reply to  Magnus H

Well, if everybody has different needs, I wish they would attend to mine too. How many trips are 120 km/h? Hmm, all of them? Seriously, why do you need to know range in town when the answer is a bloody awful long time? Efficiency would matter a lot more there. But getting back to everybody is different, which I agree, maybe they could do WLTP90/WLTP100/WLTP110/WLTP120?

Ricardo
Reply to  Ricardo

Renault gets me. They have a great tool on their site that does precisely that. I just wish we could have something more formal, you know, government official like, to prevent some brands from messing a little too much with the results.

Another Euro point of view
2 years ago

Pedro, please pardon my lack of knowledge in that field but is there an historical reason why Renault makes EVs that are not capable of fast charging at CCS station ? Could it be a charging standard issue that were chosen by French government and which was eventually not retained at European level ? ( believe I read this somewhere long time ago) Also, why some EVs are using AC charging and others DC charging ? I understand that Zoe international sales are badly affected by those charging specifics, now maybe Renault would not be willing to ramp up production beyond numbers they are selling now. I write this as I see that Zoe does not sell so well outside France and because of some comments I read in Elbilforum.no about those lack of fast charging or DC charging possibilities (explaining poor sales in Norway).

2 years ago

While the Zoe looks modern and cool is a rather old project that began in 2005. The last concept before production, the Zoe Preview (2010) was unveiled at 2010 Paris Motor Show.

The CCS 1.0 was only unveiled in late 2011…

In my opinion CCS capability should have been introduced with the R240 motor back in 2015 – and the less efficient and more expensive Q210 motor made by Continental completely discontinued.

Nonetheless, since the Zoe will be on sale next year in South Korea, it’ll definitely get CCS in the coming months. Renault needs to test CCS in Europe first before exporting it to South Korea.

Another Euro point of view
2 years ago

OK, many thanks for this thorough reply !

Raphael
2 years ago

Renault has their own charger – Chameleon – that works with AC up to 43 Kw. This gives 1h 40 min (0-100%) with the updated Zoë. When Zoë was conceived, CCS was not available. CCS probably comes as an option in the future for certain market. For Norway, Zoë might not be the best option due to the AC charger. AC or DC, it’s about different electrical solutions in different countries…

Lars
Reply to  Raphael

That is not correct, the new Renault Zoe (R90) can only charge with 22kW, only the old Renault Zoe can charge with 43KW. With the old Zoe you can charge it in half an hour, the new takes more than two hours for a full charge.

Terawatt
2 years ago

I seem to recall having read that the Zoe was indeed getting CCS this year..? I certainly hope so. Without, it’s not worth considering for anyone who doesn’t have or doesn’t want to have another car for longer trips.

I suspect the LEAF is still the more comfortable and better equipped car that I’d prefer. I’ve got a LEAF today (2012 SL imported from USA) but will upgrade sometime this year or next. I want a 200-miler, or happily more than that, and my shortlist at the moment includes 2019 LEAF e-Plus, 2018 KONA, 2018-19 Ioniq (whenever the big battery bump comes), 2019 Model 3 (looks less and less likely, too expensive). And maybe the Zoe if it also gets 60 kWh soon.

Things are moving so fast however that it’s entirely possible that I’ll be so tempted by some newer and better and shinier thing before I get around to buying, and then postpone again. The I.D. for example might be very interesting, especially if it arrives a little sooner than the end of 2019, if the production car seems good (the concept is a bit extreme, and I doubt I would love that steering wheel) and if it’s aggressively priced… 😂

But it’s of course wonderful that the products and the selection improves so fast. My emotional distress is a small price to pay for accelerated transitioning to sustainable energy.

Reply to  Terawatt

And why not a Peugeot 208 EV? It’ll be similar to Zoe (cool supermini), but more modern in many aspects.

Raphael
2 years ago

The Peugeot 208 EV will come next year. New generation 208. Also Opel/Vauxhall Corsa EV on the same platform. But first we will see the new DS3 Crossback EV.

Lars
2 years ago

I would much rather see a CCS option or bigger battery, the 90 HP motor in the current Zoe is fine. I do however have to say that the current Zoe with the 41 kWh does not have a 200 km winter range.