2018 Nissan Leaf gets official EPA ratings

Nissan Leaf EPA ratings evolution

Who doesn’t like more range?

When some of us are already thinking about the 2019 Nissan Leaf, the 2018 model year finally gets its official EPA ratings.

Without further ado let’s see the EPA ratings.

Range

Efficiency

City

169 miles – 271 km

26,88 kWh/100 miles – 16,7 kWh/100 km

Highway

135 miles – 217 km

33,6 kWh/100 miles – 20,88 kWh/100 km

Combined

151 miles – 243 km

30 kWh/100 miles – 18,64 kWh/100 km

As always, remember that EPA efficiency figures measure plug-to-wheels consumption, this means that the onboard charger efficiency matters

While the EPA ratings seem more realistic than the WLTP ratings released not long ago, it’s a shame that we don’t have different EPA ratings for different wheel sizes.

As a bonus I leave you with a video about the new 2018 Nissan Leaf battery.

Thanks Carlos Adell for the heads up!

More than natural resources, are wasted human resources that bothers me the most. That's why I'm a strong advocate of a society based on cooperation, not competition, that helps every individual to reach his full potential so that he can contribute back to society. "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs".

1. Tom Houlden says:

Since we seem to think alike, you probably mean “already thinking about the 2019 Nissan Leaf” because THAT one is supposed to be the first one with what I have been considering to be mandatory liquid-cooled battery. I am a bit undecided now, since battery cost & weight is dropping even faster than predicted, so if I manage to degrade my water-&-A/C-cooled 500e range enough, I will be able to justify a smaller, lighter battery that will have more range AND even better acceleration & cornering (to which my friend sarcastically remarked “as IF you need to accelerate & corner faster!!!”). Back to the point: According to Leaf drivers I’ve asked at public chargers, the current 151 mile range will degrade something like 15% every 30k miles (20k km). The 2019 will degrade less if it’s liquid-cooled.

• Marcel says:

I suspect that with each increase in battery size, the rate of degradation per mile will go down, because there will be fewer battery cycles per km driven,

So a 60 kwh battery will do half the cycles a 30 will need to go 30,000 km. As well the 60 will probably be charged to 100% less frequently.

If you add liquid cooling and better chemistries, I expect the degradation rate of the 60kwh version to be much lower. Teslas seem to degrade at less than 10% over 100,000 km, so the other manufacturers will probably catch up to that if they use liquid cooling.

• Marcel says:

I know this is off topic, but do you think this announcement of a solid state battery going to production is significant? Or is it a PR exercise?

2. Tom Houlden says:

Oops: I meant “range will degrade something like 15% every 30k miles (48k km)”

3. another_leaf_driver says:

Our August 2015 24 kWh LEAF with 41 k miles currently reports 96 percent battery health, down from 98 when new. Not surprisingly there is no noticeable reduction in range and as far as our car at least is concerned your information is not correct.

4. Mg says:

Interesting. I thought that since news xstorage was supposed to be 9.6 kWh and previous one was 7.5 kWh then 2018 Leaf is 38.4 kWh(4×9.6kwh). The 9.6 spec od not available since september but 9.6 number still appears on requested form. Now the video State 40kwh usable + buffer. Regarding EPA ratings are actually worse than 2014 model. Strange since 2018 has better drag coefficient.

Yes, it does seem that 40 kWh are usable.

Considering the EPA combined figures of 18,64 kWh/100 km and 243 km range, it suggests that to run 243 km we use 45,3 kWh from the grid to charge the Leaf. If we consider the on-board charger to be 90 % efficient, we have roughly 40,8 kWh usable.

Nice to see Nissan finally advertise usable capacity.

• Mg says:

The longer in think obout it the more shocking it becomes. Leaf takes significantly biger hit on highway(20% less efficency than city) than Boot(14% less). How IT is even possibile? Does Nissan engine has that bad efficency profile? Battery overheating at higher speed worsens internal resistance?

• Marcel says:

It’s possible the Bolt’s taller gearing means it’s motor is running at a more efficient rpm at highway speed. My 2017 Leaf has not much oomph left at Hwy speeds. That’s just a guess though.

5. Lars says:

In a discussion about battery degradation/health it would be interesting to know where the car has been used, I mean what the climate conditions are.

6. denis says:

I think the EPA rate is high in comparison to those of model 3 or ioniq, almost 15 % more consumption in combined and 20% more in highway.
    I think the model 3 SR will have the best EPA range with 150 kg lighter than the LR model. The dual motor will optimize the consumption. Then a model 3 Standard range with dual motor will probably have an epa rate close to 140. This will be the best