2018 Nissan Leaf gets official EPA ratings

Nissan Leaf EPA ratings evolution
Tom Houlden
3 years ago

Since we seem to think alike, you probably mean “already thinking about the 2019 Nissan Leaf” because THAT one is supposed to be the first one with what I have been considering to be mandatory liquid-cooled battery. I am a bit undecided now, since battery cost & weight is dropping even faster than predicted, so if I manage to degrade my water-&-A/C-cooled 500e range enough, I will be able to justify a smaller, lighter battery that will have more range AND even better acceleration & cornering (to which my friend sarcastically remarked “as IF you need to accelerate & corner faster!!!”). Back to the point: According to Leaf drivers I’ve asked at public chargers, the current 151 mile range will degrade something like 15% every 30k miles (20k km). The 2019 will degrade less if it’s liquid-cooled.

Marcel
Reply to  Tom Houlden

I suspect that with each increase in battery size, the rate of degradation per mile will go down, because there will be fewer battery cycles per km driven,

So a 60 kwh battery will do half the cycles a 30 will need to go 30,000 km. As well the 60 will probably be charged to 100% less frequently.

If you add liquid cooling and better chemistries, I expect the degradation rate of the 60kwh version to be much lower. Teslas seem to degrade at less than 10% over 100,000 km, so the other manufacturers will probably catch up to that if they use liquid cooling.

Marcel
Reply to  Tom Houlden

I know this is off topic, but do you think this announcement of a solid state battery going to production is significant? Or is it a PR exercise?

Marcel
3 years ago

You’re welcome! This is all very interesting and exciting. I have quite a few friends who want to go Electric with their next vehicle, but haven’t quite got themselves psyched up to make the jump yet. They might not realize how swiftly the changes are going to come.

Of course, my friend who loves VW diesels thinks I’m painting a much too rosy picture, and won’t switch until he can do a 600km road trip with one 5 minute break. A model 3 would suit him perfectly, but he thinks it’s too expensive and too much of a hassle, and the model 3 would require taking 20 minute breaks. It’s frustrating because he puts 100K km / yr on his golf diesel so he’s single handedly adding 15 tones /yr of co2.

Tom Houlden
3 years ago

Oops: I meant “range will degrade something like 15% every 30k miles (48k km)”

Jonas Jovial
Reply to  Tom Houlden

That value is to high. I have a 2016 30kWh Leaf with 1 year and 3 months of life and 31k km and my degradation is only about 2%

Scott
Reply to  Tom Houlden

Yep. My 2013 has 65k miles and is down about 5.2% (94.8 SOC)

another_leaf_driver
3 years ago

Our August 2015 24 kWh LEAF with 41 k miles currently reports 96 percent battery health, down from 98 when new. Not surprisingly there is no noticeable reduction in range and as far as our car at least is concerned your information is not correct.

Mg
3 years ago

Interesting. I thought that since news xstorage was supposed to be 9.6 kWh and previous one was 7.5 kWh then 2018 Leaf is 38.4 kWh(4×9.6kwh). The 9.6 spec od not available since september but 9.6 number still appears on requested form. Now the video State 40kwh usable + buffer. Regarding EPA ratings are actually worse than 2014 model. Strange since 2018 has better drag coefficient.

Mg
Reply to  Mg

The longer in think obout it the more shocking it becomes. Leaf takes significantly biger hit on highway(20% less efficency than city) than Boot(14% less). How IT is even possibile? Does Nissan engine has that bad efficency profile? Battery overheating at higher speed worsens internal resistance?

Marcel
Reply to  Mg

It’s possible the Bolt’s taller gearing means it’s motor is running at a more efficient rpm at highway speed. My 2017 Leaf has not much oomph left at Hwy speeds. That’s just a guess though.

Lars
3 years ago

In a discussion about battery degradation/health it would be interesting to know where the car has been used, I mean what the climate conditions are.

denis
3 years ago

I think the EPA rate is high in comparison to those of model 3 or ioniq, almost 15 % more consumption in combined and 20% more in highway.
I think the model 3 SR will have the best EPA range with 150 kg lighter than the LR model. The dual motor will optimize the consumption. Then a model 3 Standard range with dual motor will probably have an epa rate close to 140. This will be the best