Auto Bild tested the range of 8 electric cars

Electric car range test by Auto Bild
denis

hi pedro,
you are absolutely right, unbeliveable that the german journal do not test the german bmw i3.
When I look to the consumption of small EV, they are very high. It seems the test range started with the motorway test.

whatever, thanks to the journal and you for forwarding this nice test

Dmitry Pelegov
3 years ago

Maybe next time they will indicate km per 1 kWh, but not kWh per 100 km. It much more convenient and requires less cuculations in real life

Apkungen
Reply to  Dmitry Pelegov

Either you take for example 5km/kWh * 30kwh = 150 km range or you take 30kWh / 2kwh/100km = 150km. Don’t really see why either of that much more convenient. I guess you live in a country where you calculate gas consumption as km/l or mpg?

Dmitry Pelegov
Reply to  Apkungen

In first example you need one active – you just multiply two figures. In second – two actions and dividing is a little bit more complicated. If we want mass EV adoption, we have to be simple.

Apkungen
3 years ago

Don’t think heat pump is that important. The ampera e is actually not that efficient in summer either. Depends on what it costs to put ina heat pump. If it costs 1000 EUR or more I think it is better to put in 5kWh or so later battery that will give you more range even in summer.

Dmitry Pelegov

V2G will require much better cycleability – first of all

Dmitry Pelegov
Reply to  p-run

Interesting study, thank you for link. But, nevertheless, V2G still needs improved cycleability. To my understanding, this study is just saying – in other words – that li-ion battery should not be stored fully charged.

Dmitry Pelegov
Reply to  p-run

I guess batteries utilizing LTO as negative electrode materials will be fine. It would be great if different cars will use different “chemistries”

Dmitry Pelegov
3 years ago

heat management systems in cabins (as heating so cooling) should be definetely elaborated for EV needs

Lars
3 years ago

Nice comparison test. BMX i3 and Nissan Leaf should have been included. The Opel and the Hyundai er not really available yes, testing them is like testing a Tesla Model 3. Maybe they can make a new test next year with the new models including the new Nissan Leaf and the Tesla Model 3.
I think that the results for the Hyundai IONIQ Electric are impressive, once they get bigger batteries and produced in number so they actually are available they would be a good alternative to Nissan and Tesla.

Martin M
3 years ago

The calculation of the energy effeciency is not correctly in respect to the VW eGolf at least. The battery capacity used for the calculation must be the netto capacity (=31,5kWh), and not the brutto capacity (=35,8kWh), As I der it. This is also how it is done at e.g. the Hyundai Ioniq.
When using the correct battery capacity, the e-Golf has an efficiency at 15,1kWh/100km, which is in fact in top of efficiency

Erik
3 years ago

I have more trust in the official EPA testing. I don’t see AutoBild as independent.

(Chevrolet Bolt is Opel Ampera-e)

AndY1
Reply to  Erik

EPA tests don’t include heating the cabin. That’s where’s the difference.

Another Euro point of view
3 years ago

EVs sold in cold climate just need to have the available option of a fuel heater as found in trucks or leisure boats. Now EV are sold to a tiny fraction of people for whom all in relation with burning fossil fuel is a big no no but we are now beyond those 1-2% and aiming for the 98% others that coudn’t care less. if I had to buy an EV, no way I would accept to deal with a 20-30% range reduction in cold temperature, just fit in a fuel heater such as a webasto that would burn a few liters of fuel per years and that’s it. I mean the range of most EVs is ridiculously small as compared to what 40% of Europeans are driving (diesels with 500 miles range on one tank) so to have those people swap to EV you need to have as much range as possible for the lowest price with a warm cabin even in winter.

JayC
3 years ago

Undoubtly BILD is not independent IMHO. Testing EV’s at cold 5°C is not very advertising for EVs (it’s the opposite).

But I am amazed how close the range of the Zoe’s 41kWh small battery is to Ampera-e’s 60kWh mucho grande battery. This proves that pumping big kWh-Blocks in a car is NOT everything about range.

James
3 years ago

I think the e-Golf did surprisingly well.
Does anyone know if the e-Golf they test had a heat pump
A heat pump is not standard on the e-Golf in the UK, its an £830 option

Daniel Walser
3 years ago

I drive a VW E-Up and a Zoé ZE40 (41 kWh) and I’m surprised about these results. Probably the most difficult part of the trip was during the 70 first km, maybe it went up and probably the highway part was during these 70 km. For effiency measurements, it would make more sense to drive all cars on the same distance (for example 70 km) and then to measure the used energy for this trip by recharging the cars.