Hyundai IONIQ Electric vs Renault Zoe

Hyundai IONIQ Electric vs Renault Zoe
Jonas Jovial

Most important: availability…

And according to what I’ve been reading, the Ioniq will only be available in May in Portugal, for example..

Taking in account that first it was November this year, then January and now is only May…

Other thing to consider: reliability. And the Zoe is not very famous in this area…

Goelectric
4 years ago

The Ioniq is good, but it’s a compliance car which we will see in the selling numbers. Like the Soul EV, the Ioniq will never be available at every dealer, in not much countries and in limited numbers. Thats one point, you buy a car the Hyundai brand doesn’t want. What you can expect from spare parts prices in the future if they sell 20.000 Ioniqs over the next 2-3 years.
Renault is in an other league, they wan’t to sell and the battery is a good size.

lo
Reply to  Goelectric

Compliance car – maybe. But in Germany you can easily order a Kia Soul ev or an Ioniq ev and you will get it. One dealer alone sold more than 20 Ioniq electric already! On the dealers facebook account: “Ioniq Elektro”, you can see the car truck unloading many evs.

Goelectric
Reply to  lo

One famous Renault dealer in Germany sold 86 ZE.41 in the first weeks. This Hyundai dealer makes only good marketing.

Victor
Reply to  Goelectric

I have been to a Hyundai dealer (I think is is the one referred to above) and can confirm he has the Ionic Electric, and is selling them. The prices are competitive, the top of the range came out at 32K Euros with sunroof. I had a test drive as well. His next delivery is in about a month.

Night
Reply to  Goelectric

Even in South Korea Hyundai sold 1’000 Ioniq Electric in the first month. Renault sell ouer ZOE near by onely in europe. So they may produce lesser EVs then Renault in 2-3 years becaus of the asia market.

We have a old ZOE and i drove the Ioniq yesterday. For me the ZOE have a better stearing Feeling, it’s smaller and the 3-phase charger ist a big benefit for me. But for near the same Price i think you get a way more luxery car with the ioniq. If I would by a car today I would realy considering the Ioniq.

xado
4 years ago

the german dealer in landsberg near münich sold 41 electric ioniq since 5th november,

John
4 years ago

Both are too expensive compliance cars.

James
4 years ago

Where did you get all these data?
Its hard to believe that the Ioniq can be so much more efficient than the Zoe, but I do believe it
It doesn’t seem to be related to speed, so I doubt aerodynamics is a big factor
Temperature also doesn’t have much effect, so it must be down to the inverter, motor and mechanical components

Jonas Jovial
Reply to  James

The Ioniq is more efficient, because the Zoe charger is totally inefficient. Also, the Cd for the Ioniq is much lower.

p-run
4 years ago

Numbers from ioniq facebook group can’t be trusted. Ioniq/Zoe nedc range is 280/400. So it can’t be 351/386 in Case 1…

lo
Reply to  James

Hyundai uses sqare wires in the motor to get more and thicker windings in less space.

James
Reply to  lo

Thats cool, like that idea, Cross sectional area is what matters

ABE Fluence
4 years ago

Battery size? I can’t see that, both two.
Battery size advantage–> Zoe? (forgoten too).
Ionic ac charger?
Ionic 150 horse power only 7kwh/100 at 50km/h. Imposible, only my Fluence ze 95hp can do that!!

I bought Zoe – it was the same situation
I am sure that the Ioniq is better in nearly all points
But as long as there are less DC Chargers there is always the risk to get to a blocked or broken charger. And then use 1 phase AC? I know how that feels i drive a NISSAN Leaf.
With my ICCB NRGkick (www.NRGkick.com) i can easily recharge zoe very fast

Bolt
4 years ago

Pedro, have you heard anything about Hyundai Creta EV? Several Norwegian Hyundai dealers are saying that they have just recently received information from the factory that this one is coming next year. Apparently with a much bigger battery than the Ioniq and 500+ km NEDC range. I’m wondering if this is actually for real in 2017 or if it’s a stalling tactic with just lofty promises.

Thomas
4 years ago

It’s quite a leap between 16″ and 17″ wheels for the ZOE. Wonder what kind of tyres and rims, and widths is the basis for the numbers..(?)

Reply to  Thomas

Hm i ordered my new Renault ZOE Intens Q90 41 kWh with 17 tech run rims.
As my Q210 before.
Yes you are right. In Summer there is 5-8% more consumption at all.
Maybe this mean a 2-3 kWh more on the new battery. Of course.
But in summer i dont have any problems with the range.
And in winter i am going to use 15 or 16 inch rims with good winter tires.

I hope to reach 200-230 km in winter conditions with 100-105 km/h cruise on motorway and 300 km in summer conditions overall range (city/land) at appr. 80 km/h.

With 14 kWh/100 km it should work perfectly 🙂

James
4 years ago

This autocar group test suggests 5.3 miles per kWh for the BMW i3 (they’ve also the battery capacity wrong)
and only 4.7 miles per kWh for the Ioniq
Test was central london

That i3 figure seems too high to me, opinions?