Nissan confirms that the redesigned Leaf is coming soon

Nissan confirms that the redesigned Leaf is coming soon
Rendering of possible facelifted 2017 Nissan Leaf

Michael Bunce, that is the vice president, Product Planning at Nissan North America confirmed yesterday in an interview that the automaker is revamping its Nissan Leaf with a new design and battery options. The new redesigned Leaf will be unveiled soon.

While the initial information I got, months ago, pointed to November as the production start and December for first deliveries, now it seems that there is a delay, since the Los Angeles Auto Show was the best opportunity to make the unveil and Nissan missed it.

Considering that the new batteries are already in production at Nissan’s Sunderland plant, this delay may be related to Nissan making the latest tweaks to the redesigned Leaf to get more range from the batteries. I’m thinking of mostly aerodynamic tweaks like a completely flat underbody or different wheels.

Nissan was first surprised with the Chevrolet Bolt EV’s range and more recently with the Hyundai IONIQ electric’s efficiency. The redesigned Nissan Leaf to succeed, should be placed between these two electric cars – regarding range and efficiency. With a 160 miles (257 km) EPA range if it’s considerably cheaper and more efficient than the Chevrolet Bolt EV it does has its place in the electric car market.

I really hope that Nissan learned something with the Hyundai IONIQ electric and makes efficiency a priority. There are so many simple and inexpensive things that can be done to improve the efficiency and range, that when ignored I feel that automakers really want electric cars to fail.

If it takes a few more weeks to make the redesigned Leaf better, then go ahead and do it. Safety features like Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) shouldn’t be forgotten and a Head Up Display (HUD) would be a nice distinguishing feature to keep the driver’s eyes on the road.

In a worst case scenario we’ll have to wait for January 5 to see the new Leaf variant. This is when the Nissan’s CEO, Carlos Ghosn will be at the Keynote Stage in CES 2017. But this seems to be too late, since the sister automaker Renault, will be delivering the smaller Zoe with 41 kWh batteries by January.

What do you think? Do latest tweaks justify the redesigned Leaf’s delay? Or do you want it now, no matter what?

Simon
3 years ago

For me, I’d really like a slightly bigger electric car with long range. The Ampera-e certainly has the range, but I fear cargo space is too small for my single-car family. The leaf / Ioniq seems better in that respect, but it would still be less than our current 2002 Corolla Touring.

So Nissan, please just make it slightly bigger with longer range!

Yogurt
3 years ago

Rushing a car to market is never smart so delaying is good even if it is only delayed for small efiency improvements…
The effiency of ICE cars has never been a top priority to auto makers and they roll that thinking over to the EVs they produce…
Since effiency is more important to EVs that way of thinking will change in time…

Robert Malcolm Kay
3 years ago

I’m in no rush, as I am just six months into a three year PCP on my 30 kwh Tekna. Hopefully I’ll be looking for a replacement at about the time when the prices of the new Leaf start to get sensibly competitive.

Jonas Jovial
3 years ago

I really hope they launch it and hope it be announced before January and available right at the beginning next year.

The only con will be the lack of battery thermal management 🙁

Jonas Jovial
Reply to  Jonas Jovial

Oh..and i really want it now! To me a big plus was the extension of LED headlights to lower versions and not only in the top version (has it is now), that only has 17″ inch wheels available 🙁

3 years ago

This is nu last comment on the “new Leaf news” postings: SHOW ME THE MONEY! (Jerry Maguire https://youtu.be/1-mOKMq19zU)

Lets hope for 60+ kWh
New Interior and exterior design
Smart Features and Safety Features

Terawatt
Reply to  Stefan Ko

Let’s be more realistic. I’ll be very surprised if it gets more than 50 kWh. And wasn’t it supposed to share the battery with Zoe?!?

Reply to  Terawatt

Guess you are right
But as it has been since unveiling of 30 kWh there could be 2 versions
30 kWh base, 41 kWh mid trim and/or 60 kWh highest trim

Jonas Jovial
Reply to  Stefan Ko

I don’t think so…probably there will be only the 42kWh useful battery model…

Reply to  Jonas Jovial

I already ordered new ZOE with 41 kWh 🙂
But would be nice to see a great Leaf

John
Reply to  Terawatt

Why? Nissan has already confirmed the next Leaf will have 60 kWh. They have shown a prototype of that 60 kWh battery a long time ago. Google it.

Jonas Jovial
Reply to  John

60kWh will only be available on the second generation and in 2018

Reply to  Jonas Jovial

And how would you know? Nothing we’ve been reading sofar has turned out to be true so 60 might just be as good a guess as 41, 48 or whatever the latest click-bait is.

NoNo
Reply to  John

THe 60 kWh battery is too heavy. To compensate the weight, the Leaf 2 will have some parts made of carbon fiber plastics.

John
Reply to  NoNo

How do you know? We have already seen double the old capacity with only a little weight increment.

Mike
3 years ago

I’m hoping for Apple Car Play, sunroof option, and 45-60 kW battery. Ultimate dream list would include dual, more powerful motors, automatic emergency braking, blind spot detection, rear cross traffic, and active cruise control. I don’t even mind the exterior of the current LEAF, but am hoping I have another viable choice from Nissan when I return my ’14 SL in April…

Steve
3 years ago

The initial version is going to have 40kWh batteries as that is what Sunderland is actually making today.

Whether more capacity will be available later in the production cycle remains to be seen – but likely to be yes.

Goelectric
Reply to  Steve

Where you get the info? I have an e-mail where I was told production of car with big battery starts in December, so batteries should be produced some weaks earlier?

NoNo
3 years ago

The e-power system in the Note has 50% stronger regenerative braking, very likely the Leaf will get it too, because Nissan said e-power and Leaf will use the same motor and inverter.

John
3 years ago

TESLA at least 55 kW…. Bolt 60 kW….. LEAF 40 kW… hmmm…. let’s see which one I’ll buy at the $35 000 base price.

Jonas Jovial
Reply to  John

The problem is that Tesla, only on the end of next year, more certain in 2018. The Bolt is the same thing..only small quantities and all almost to the California State. So the question is not which one you will buy.. is more which one are you willing to wait for?

Reply to  Jonas Jovial

I’ll tough it out with my 2012 Leaf until I’ve seen and driven all contenders: Model 3, Bolt (Ampera-e over here) and Nissan’s offering.

ABE Fluence
3 years ago

Please, 41kwh in Fluence battery replacement option from OVERLEASE. Its amazing car, only needs bigger battery.

Willy
3 years ago

Y esto qué precio va a tener.

Reply to  Willy

The price should be marginally higher than a Renault Zoe with the ZE 40 battery. Specially if the Leaf gets the ProPILOT system.

apkungen
3 years ago

Same efficiency as Ioniq, real 100kW charging and 55kWh battery woth a price tag of 33000usd before incentatives and they can wait a year from now. Anything worse and thay’ll might as well continue to sell the apperent leaf.