At the moment, by checking the Renault online configurators we have the battery included option in Portugal, Spain and Italy but other countries will soon follow.
Below we have the prices (VAT is not included) in Portugal and as you already know the Flex versions are the ones with the battery lease.
- Twizy Life Flex: 6.252,03 €
- Twizy Life: 9.910,57 €
- Twizy Intens Flex: 6.902,44 €
- Twizy Intens: 10.560,98 €
- Twizy Bag Flex: 7.081,30 €
- Twizy Bag: 10.739,84 €
- Kangoo Z.E. Flex: 20.300,81 €
- Kangoo Z.E.: 25.800,81 €
- Kangoo Maxi Z.E. 2L Flex: 21.500,81 €
- Kangoo Maxi Z.E. 2L: 27.000,81 €
- Kangoo Maxi Z.E. 5L Flex: 22.300,81 €
- Kangoo Maxi Z.E. 5L: 27.800,81 €
While in the Twizy the difference between buying or leasing the tiny 6,1 kWh battery is 3.658,54 €, in the Kangoo ZE is 5.500 € – much more reasonable considering the 24 kWh battery.
The Renault Twizy is a great vehicle for car sharing services in warm places, specially islands in Portugal, Spain and Italy. The option to avoid the battery leasing should help the sales. Yet I think that this model needs a new generation with proper doors and heated seats to make a real success in colder countries. Something like the Nissan Land Glider Concept.
Regarding Renault Kangoo ZE, the sales should also increase with this change in Renault’s strategy, but the big boost will come in the next months with a battery capacity increase and faster internal charger.
It’s good to see Renault finally improve its electric mobility strategy and I wonder how long will Volkswagen take to react. In my opinion now that the opening of the LG Chem battery cell plant in Poland next year is approaching, Renault will start to boost production and sales of the Alliance electric cars. Volkswagen and BMW that usually talk a lot about how great their electric cars will be, might be caught off guard.
What do you think? Is Renault finally waking up now that LG Chem is about to have a battery cell plant in Poland?
- Cobalt-free LFP batteries are gaining traction - 11/07/2020
- Modern Panasonic prismatic battery cells - 03/07/2020
- June was a record-breaking month for the Renault ZOE - 02/07/2020