Chevrolet Bolt EV has a 238 miles EPA range

Chevrolet Bolt EV has a 238 miles EPA range
2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV silver

Today Chevrolet announced Bolt’s EPA range and efficiency:

• Range (EPA): overall is 238 miles (383 km); city is 256 miles (412 km) and highway is 220 miles (354 km)
  • Efficiency (EPA): combined is 119 MPGe (17,6 kWh/100 km); city is 128 MPGe (16,4 kWh/100 km) and highway is 110 MPGe (19 kWh/100 km). If you want to know how I converted MPGe to a more logic kWh/100 km check here

The EPA figures announced were a very good surprise. They make the Chevrolet Bolt EV the second most efficient electric car sold in the USA, only behind the ultra efficient BMW i3. At least until the Hyundai IONIQ EV’s EPA rate is announced.

I was surprised to know that the Chevrolet Bolt EV despite being heavier and less aerodynamic than the Nissan Leaf, is more efficient. GM and LG Chem did a great job building a ultra efficient powertrain.

Chevrolet Bolt EV 60 kWh battery made with LG Chem cells
Chevrolet Bolt EV 60 kWh battery made with LG Chem cells

Now the EPA figures confirm that the Bolt EV has more than double the range of the Nissan Leaf with the 30 kWh battery, it’s easy to guess that the Opel Ampera-e will surpass the 500 km NEDC range.

To remain on top the Renault-Nissan Alliance, not only has to deliver the 43 kWh batteries for the facelifted Nissan Leaf and the Renault Zoe, but also has to make efficiency tweaks such as weight reduction and better aerodynamics. The use of lightweight materials like aluminium for the external moving parts (doors and the hood) is a no-brainer. This is what Chevrolet did with the Bolt EV and what Hyundai did with the IONIQ.

Now what I would like to see is the Opel Ampera-e charging at the 150 kW rated CCS DC fast chargers already operating in Switzerland. I’m pretty confident that it will surpass the 50 kW rate.

Chevrolet also gave us ten videos dedicated to the Bolt in its YouTube channel, feel free to check them in the link at the bottom.

James
4 years ago

This is all just disappointing for me, I live in the UK
and they won’t be making any RHD bolts

4 years ago
Reply to  James

I’m sure it will eventually be sold in the UK. Maybe in 2018 when GM sees Tesla selling a lot of Model 3 in there.

Ups
4 years ago

Very questionable, if there will be any Model 3 in UK before 2019. No RHD Model X have been delivered to UK, one year after it’s launch.

Terawatt
4 years ago
Reply to  Ups

The first batch of LHD Model X’s was delivered to Norway last month. And Norway is a bigger market for Tesla than the rest of Europe combined IIRC. For all I know it could be another year before it is delivered to the UK, or it could be another week.

In any case you can hardly blame the rest of the world for your stubborn insistence to drive on the left. It makes cars more expensive because the RHD market is much smaller than the LHD one. (Yes, 35% of the world’s population lives in RHD territories – but 90% of roads are LHD, and likely at least 80% of cars.) Many countries have made the transition, nobody has ever regretted it, and actually it’s all gone pretty smoothly.

In short, it is really nothing much more than the “nobody gets to tell us what to do” and a misplaced pride in “being different” (for the sake of being different) that stops you from pretty easily switching to LHD. Granted, it will be a bit painful to drive around on the right side of the road, sitting on the wrong side in the car, but you can actually get used to it, as many brits are from their frequent journeys to France, Italy, Spain and Germany… and it is only a temporary pain.

Terawatt
4 years ago

Absolutely awesome news! I now believe the 60 kWh to be useable capacity.

I can’t quite make sense of the consumption/range/capacity though. We ought to be able from consumption and range to figure out useable capacity, but when I try to it looks like this:

17,6 kWh / 100 km * 383,3 km = 67,46 kWh.

That’s based on combined-cycle consumption and range.

Any idea what’s wrong here?

4 years ago
Reply to  Terawatt

Eheh Terawatt I also tried that, but you won’t find the usable capacity doing that.

“For EVs the energy cost includes the conversions from AC from the wall used to charge the battery.”.

EPA uses plug-to-wheel to measure costs and consumption. That 67,46 kWh you calculated is what the internal charger uses from the electrical grid. You can at least calculate the charging efficiency. If 60 kWh is usable, we get 89 % efficiency.

Terawatt
4 years ago

Thanks. That makes perfect sense.

89% charging efficiency doesn’t seem very high, so I’ll take this as confirmation the 60 kWh must be useable capacity. (If it were gross capacity, useable capacity would likely not exceed 55 kWh, implying a charging efficiency of just 55/66,46 = 82,8% – which is really low. Tesla has claimed that Model S is 85% efficient plug to wheel!)

Yogurt
4 years ago

Awsome news and 100% usable for long range travel…
I beleive it was also reported Chevy might match Teslas model 3 price…
If Chevy does sell it for 35k US then I think Nissan also has to lower there price by thousands…

Terawatt
4 years ago
Reply to  Yogurt

The price-match is just speculation at this point. But it seems plausible to me. Clearly GM is trying hard to sink the Tesla ship now that they have the best chance to do so – Model 3 being, by Tesla’s own admission, their “make or break” car.

In any case the Model 3 won’t be around for a while, especially in the base version that should sell at $35k. So even if the Bolt is initially more expensive than that it seems likely that GM will be able to at least match the Tesla on price when, or before, it actually becomes possible to buy Model 3s for $35k.

It shall be interesting to see if investors lose their nerve at this point. Tesla has accumulated losses of $3 billion so far, and all of a sudden it is beginning to look less certain that they will be able to enjoy the juicy future profit margins investors must be expecting (in order to justify the high share price). At least that is how I see it. Whether the markets do remains to be seen; the Tesla stock didn’t react much to the Bolt range announcement.

Totally agree on the 100% for long range travel – provided the charging infrastructure is there. Like with a Tesla, I can drive this car for basically as long as I ever should before taking a break (that I should take anyway) and charge only once in a day, or maybe twice in extreme cases. I can only think of a single time I have driven far enough in a day that I would have had to charge twice in the Bolt. On that occasion I drove from Kristiansand to Oslo and back again the same day, a distance of 350 km each way, but at highway speeds so I reckon I would have needed to charge for 10-15 minutes each way. More if I could not charge while in Oslo (unlikely – Oslo is the EV capital of the world).

Ralf K
4 years ago

:quote: At least until the Hyundai IONIQ EV’s EPA rate is announced. :end quote:

This Hyundai Word file states 125 MPGe combined for ioniq electric along US specs:
So it is more efficient.

And 110 miles of EPA range from the 28 kWh battery.

4 years ago
Reply to  Ralf K

Thanks for the notice Ralf.