Nissan will stop making batteries

Nissan will stop making batteries
Nissan Leaf

Carlos Ghosn, the CEO of Renault and Nissan, seems decided to drop the battery production and focus the resources in other electric car’s technologies such as electric motors and autonomous driving.

Nissan is trying to sell its 51 % stake in AESC (Automotive Energy Supply Corporation) that currently supplies the battery for the Nissan Leaf. The company is jointly owned by NEC that has the other 49 %.

The possible buyers are plenty, LG Chem, Panasonic, Samsung SDI or even NEC could buy the other 51 % to completely own the company. A Chinese company can also try to take the opportunity to become a world-leader in battery production.

For a long time AESC was only behind Panasonic in battery production, but was recently surpassed by BYD. This could be the opportunity for BYD go head to head with Panasonic, or Panasonic can try the world domination…

Maybe in a few years, when there’s a clear winner in battery technology Nissan can start producing the batteries again, now it seems a good choice to see the technological battles from outside and focus in other parts of the electric car.

As a big Alliance Renault-Nissan have the power to negotiate better prices if they get the batteries for the Nissan Leaf and Renault Zoe from the same supplier. LG Chem seems to be better positioned since it already supplies the batteries for Zoe, but a better alternative can appear.

If I had to guess I would say LG Chem will provide 40 kWh (usable capacity) batteries to both Alliance’s electric cars. The facelifted Nissan Leaf and the upcoming Renault Zoe R400. Carlos Ghosn already said publicly he thinks that currently LG Chem is the best battery maker.

 

 

More info:

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Nissan-to-pull-plug-on-electric-car-battery-production

http://uk.reuters.com/article/us-nissan-battery-stakesale-idUKKCN10H05J

http://ev-sales.blogspot.pt/2016/07/batteries-june-2016.html

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nissan-to-consider-lg-batteries-for-electric-cars-1437052009

2 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
sapcmc
4 years ago

I guess those are great news for consumers.

So it means sooner or later we will see more and more sharing of components for Renault and Nissan BEVs. Likely the Zoe will be then in future sold in North America under Nissan´s brand and most likely once BEVs become more mainstream we will see a Renault Megane BEV similar sized to the Leaf.

As for factory workers just hope they will manage to sell factories to a company interested producing batteries for both automotive and home storage.

Adx
4 years ago

In Spanish Configurator also the 24 kWh is only one Visia discounted, I think in Paris we will see 30 kwh base and 40 kWh battery options for Zoe, Leaf, e-NV200 and also Kangoo.