New details for the improved Volkswagen e-Golf

Volkswagen e-Golf
sapcmc
4 years ago

3.6 kW AC charging, VW is basically joking with us.

EHE
4 years ago

3.6 kW AC charging is sufficient. At home you dont need higher charging speed. When you are on a longer trip you will need fast DC charging anyway. I have the current version of the e-golf and charge at home with a 13A 230V wall box. I have never had the need for faster AC charging.

On longer trips, AC charging is never an option. 7,2kW or 11kW is far to slow compared with 40KW DC charging anyway.

With a larger battery the need for faster AC chargin will be even less important, since there will be less chance that you will need any extra charging during daytime.

sapcmc
4 years ago
Reply to  EHE

You say that because you donยดt have more AC. I have a GTE and a Renault ZOE and I find faster AC charging VERY VERY useful.

All BEVs should have at least 7.2 kW AC single phase and 11 kW three phase.

Maybe where you live there are plenty DC charging stations but not where I live.

This costs manufacturers less than 100 EUR of manufacturing costs and can many times mean a big difference between reaching destination on time or not.

EHE
4 years ago
Reply to  sapcmc

I would never go on a long trip with 7.2kW or 11KW AC charging as the only option. If I need to drive 400km I will have to recharge 3 times. That is no problem when I can use a40KW DC charger. With 11KW AC charging the trip will take two hours extra in charging time. So that is not an option.

And with an avarage driving distance of 30-40 km a day, it does not matter if it takes 1 hour or 3 hours to recharge on a normal day.

I dont belive it will only cost 100 EUR extra to get an 11KW charger instead of a 3.6KW charger. Tesla takes about 1300 EUR extra just for upgrading from 11KW to 16.5KW.

sapcmc
4 years ago

Yes and the GTE has 7,2 kW AC so a total joke of VW to offer this kind of car to consumers.

Ralf K
4 years ago
Reply to  sapcmc

The Golf GTE does not have a 7.2 kW charger in the German market. It maxes at 3.6 kW AC charging. But for its small 8,8 kWh battery this is much less of concern than for BEVs.

Ralf K
4 years ago

I read, the new e-Golf will get the 7,2kW AC onboard charger _as an option_ when it will be available at the end of 2016.
Sorry, i don’t have a reference right now.