BMW officially announces increased range BMW i3
Let’s compare the old BMW i3 (60 Ah) with the new BMW i3 (94 Ah):
- NEDC range: 190 km vs 300 km (20-inch wheels), 110 km more
With 19-inch wheels the NEDC increases to 312 km. The real world range is estimated to increase from 130 km to 200 km.
- Battery capacity in kWh (gross/net): 21,6/18,8 vs 33,2/27,2
The new i3 only uses 82 % of the total battery capacity to improve its lifespan.
- Battery rated voltage: 360 V vs 353 V
This may mean that the i3 no longer uses 96 cells connected in series, I guess now there are 94 cells in the battery pack.
- DC fast charging is still capped at 50 kW
This is the most disappointing feature, I was expecting an increase to 75 kW.
- AC charging is now possible at 11 kW (16A, 3-phase)
22 kW would be better, but 11 kW means 2:45 h to charge at home, not bad! In the USA where 3-phase electricity is scarce, the fastest option is 7,4 kW.
- Weight: 1.205 kg vs 1.245 kg, 40 kg more
The increased weight made the new i3 marginally slower.
I’ll just make some considerations about the Range Extender version.
- It’s less aerodynamic than the BEV version, 0,30 Cd vs 0,29 Cd. I’m guessing it’s because of the tail pipe.
- The new version is just 25 kg heavier than before, 1.340 kg vs 1.365 kg.
- In NEDC the new Range Extender version is more energy efficient than the BEV version. 11,3 kWh/100 km vs 12,6 kWh/100 km. What the hell?! It’s heavier, less aerodynamic and still it’s more efficient?!
The new i3 will have its first deliveries happing in July, but it’s not until September that most of the new deliveries will start to happen.
The Range Extender version with its 330 km real world range can take some buyers from the upcoming all-electric Chevrolet Bolt.
Regarding price the new version will only get a minor price increase, because the i3 is already an expensive car.
“The prices of the BMW i3 models in Germany are:
- BMW i3 (60Ah): 34.950 € (BEV), 39.950 € (REX)
- BMW i3 (94Ah): 36.150 € (BEV), 41.150 € (REX)”
The good news is that current owners will be able to upgrade the battery.
For more technical details check the second link below.