Hyundai IONIQ EV production increase is now underway

Hyundai IONIQ trio (Hybrid, Electric and Plug-in Hybrid variants)

Is it too late to challenge the Nissan Leaf now that it has more range?

Last June, Hyundai promised to increase the production of the Hyundai IONIQ EV to fulfill the increasing demand. Now, the recent sales report shows us that the company achieved a nice production increase last month.

In September last month, 2.355 Hyundai IONIQ EV were produced, of which 846 for the domestic market (South Korea) and 1.509 for exportation (Europe and North America mostly). This represents a nice improvement considering that only 1.169 (959 + 210) were produced in the previous month of August.

Hyundai IONIQ production figures in 2017

Nevertheless, Hyundai expects to increase the production even more soon – to 4.000 monthly units.

Furthermore, with a small 28 kWh battery that costs Hyundai less than 3.500 €, there’s no reason why the all electric variant is more expensive than the hybrid. I think that with the ongoing production increase and the new Nissan Leaf’s arrival getting closer, we’ll probably see some nice discounts for the Hyundai IONIQ EV like the ones already available in Spain.

This could be a killer EV if sold for 25.000 €, even with the new Nissan Leaf around 30.000 €.

Summing up, Hyundai is aware of competition (Nissan) and will try to deliver as much Hyundai IONIQ EVs as possible before the arrival of the new Nissan Leaf. Great news for you if you’re waiting for one.

Thanks Stefan Ko for always sharing the latest electric news on facebook 🙂

More than natural resources, are wasted human resources that bothers me the most. That’s why I’m a strong advocate of a society based on cooperation, not competition, that helps every individual to reach his full potential so that he can contribute back to society. “From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs”.

1. Stefan Ko says:

As always: Thank you 🙂

2. Alok says:

Wow, 28 kWh for less than 3,500 € !
    That’s less than 125 € or 150 $ / kWh, and at the pack level, not cells. (From LG Chem, right?)
    Never heard of such low prices.
    Are you absolutely sure about it, Pedro?
    And can I ask you how? (Sorry…)
    That would be totally awesome.

Thanks

Hi Alok.

At the pack level LG Chem EV batteries are cheaper than Tesla’s, because it’s much simpler, faster and cheaper to assemble few but bigger pouch cells than thousands of tiny cylindrical cells that need firewalls (metal separators) and a hard case to prevent fire spread in case of puncture, since the NCA chemistry is not as safe as NCM. The advantage for Tesla is that with tiny cells they can make more moldable battery packs – in all shapes and sizes, not only for electric cars, but also for powerwalls.

For EV batteries, pouch cells offer the best price-quality ratio, better than prismatic or cylindrical. At the moment the cheapest battery packs are from AESC and LG Chem.

3. Mg says:

Hi Pedro. I am also a bit uneasy about those 3.5k or 125usd/kwh battery price. More so since ioniq have lithium polymer battery, and I always assumed that those were more expensive than standard li ion.

Hi Mg.

What do you mean by lithium polymer (LiPo) battery? Nowadays most people refer to lithium battery cells that are enclosed by a polymer (plastic) pouch as LiPo – to differentiate them from prismatic and cylindrical cells that have hard metal cases.

In other words, they are just the pouch cells we’re now familiar with.

As far as I know the Hyundai IONIQ EV uses regular NCM 622 pouch cells made by LG Chem.

• Mg says:

Well, i am just citing Wikipedia here on ioniq battery. Wiki states that lithium polymer uses some kind of polymer gel as electrolyte. I am not big on battery physics, but i always assumed that there is something that allows ioniq to be charged at over 2C. I thought that was that.

4. Nada says:

I beleive the Toyota engineer in charge of electrification made the statement quite a while ago that a 100 mile EV costs less to manfacture than a hybrid and a Prius MSRPs at 24k…
    EVs are dratically overpriced…
    Chevy Bolt EV parts from online dealers at retail price are even relatively cheap and I have a hard time seeing their 37500 MSRP other than massive costs for new EV clean sheet design…

5. Alok says:

Yeah, definitely EVs are overpriced.
    I think the high costs for the Bolt (and others) are mainly due to low production volume.
    Any car produced in only 25-30,000 annual units would be much more costly than when produced at a rate of 300,000 per year.
    A few years ago Carlos Ghosn made some comment about aiming at producing 500,000 EVs a year to reduce costs.

For the Ionic (which is also overpriced), considering the savings in the rest of the drive-train, I think that even if the battery costed 5,000 euros the car would cost less than a Prius. So I don’t think the 3,500 euros Pedro mentions can be deducted from that statement. Pedro must base his comment on some other source… 🙂

On average, before incentives, the all electric variant is 10.000 € more expensive than the hybrid. Since they share the same platform and plenty other components, Hyundai can’t use the low production volume as excuse.

As you say, even if the battery costed 5.000 €, it wouldn’t justify the current 10.000 € price difference.

Hyundai could already sell the IONIQ EV with profit for 25.000 € and considering the arrival of cheaper and more energy dense battery cells (NCM 811) next year, future looks bright.

If automakers don’t produce good and affordable electric cars they can only blame themselves, not the battery technology.

• EHE says:

In Norway the price is not very different between the electric version and the plug in version.

If you select the electric version, with no extra options, the price is 25734 euros (241900 NOK)

The price for the plug in hybrid is 24757 euros before taxes.

That is a difference i price of about 1000 euros.

6. migle says:

Two points are very important to this discussion. One is displayed beautifully by your article which compares the Zoe 41kWh with the Ioniq. The other point, is that we are using tests designed to inform about fuel economy to estimate range, and this is a huge falacy.

A test for fuel economy is designed so I can estimate how much fuel I will typically spend. But range is not a factor in those ocasions. I will not drive 240km at an average of 40km/h, because that would mean driving for 6 hours. If I need to cover large distances, I’ll have to drive faster.

The new Leaf has 40% more battery than the Ioniq, however it achieves only 20% more range in the combined cycle (240km vs 200km). The other 20% are lost to air resistance, due to its little improved aerodynamics. The same will happen with the 20% more power that it has (147cv vs 120cv) and we will see that when the acceleration numbers are known. We don’t know how the new Leaf fares on the highway.

Let me guess only 10% more range than the Ioniq on the EPA highway test. Even this test has an average speed of 77km/h and top speed of 97km/h. We typically travel at average speeds of 80 to 115km/h. The higher the speed, the greater the weight of the aerodynamics, and the range of the Ioniq will approach that of the new Leaf. Really, how much more range can the new Leaf have at these speeds?

Disclaimer: I have the Ioniq, less than one month old. I decided for the purchase right after the new Leaf was presented. Some of your posts influenced me. Recently, I did a 270km trip, from Lisbon to Algarve and back at 120km/h. My averages were around 15kWh/100km. On the return trip, in particular, the numbers on the on-board computer were confirmed by charging the car in public charger. The trip tooks 3h10′ with a 34′ stop. The average was 15,3kWh/100km, and the average including the charging process was 16,5kWh/100km. Details available.

The economy of the Ioniq is real. We suspect that all things being equal, people will prefer the well-known Nissan Leaf, of course. It also has other attributes, such as remote control, and even more driving aids than the Ioniq.

However, the economy of the Ioniq gives you: less charging time for equal distances (charges at 100kW and spends less), less heating on the battery, because of less charging time, and it is legitimate to expect that if something goes wrong the battery will be cheaper.

You could say that if you have to reduce the speed a little on the Ioniq to achieve the range of the new Leaf, that the Ioniq will pass the new Leaf due to less time spent charging. You’ll have an overall much higher speed for travelling.

The Ioniq will need the 48kWh, but to keep up to par with the 60kWh Leaf and the 55kWh Model 3. Until then, I can’t agree that it would have to sell for 25000€ if the new Leaf sells for 30000€. Brand is important, notoriety, etc, trust. But not so much!

• EHE says:

The Ioniq is very efficient. But keep in mind that the difference in air drag is linear. If you for instance compare the Ioniq with the e-golf (the one I drive myself) you will only have to reduce the speed from 120 km/h to 111 km/h to compensate for the higher air drag. And I think the new Leaf will have a cda very close to the e-golf.

You also have to keep in mind that you can not charge very fast when SOC gets higher than 80%. And you can not expect more than 70kW peak. The Leaf can charge at 50kW and have a lot more capacity up to 80% SOC.

So I think the 40kWh Leaf will have a big advantage also on longer trips.

• migle says:

The dependence on the Cd is linear, but the dependence on speed is quadratic, and that means EPA test isn’t giving enough weight to the aerodynamics term. Since not only the Cd of the Leaf will be higher, but its overall height as well, I think more than a 10% increase in range can’t be expected.

The Leaf can charge a lot more capacity up to 80%, 40% more, taking 40% more time, and meaning only 10% more kms. Say the Ioniq has 175km range @120km/h and the Leaf has 10% more, 192.5km. If both depart full, after 150km the Ioniq will be at 14.3% SoC and the Leaf at 22%. Even if the charger is 50kW, the Ioniq will charge to 80% in 22′ and the Leaf in 28′ (6 more minutes). If at one stage the distance is bigger, all it takes is the Ioniq lowering the speed 1 or 2km/h (dependence on speed is quadratic), loosing a couple of minutes which will be recovered at charging. And the longer the trip, the greater the advantage of the Ioniq.

To me these vehicles are very similar in the travelling abilities. Certainly no big advantage.

I did under 16kWh/100km with AC on and an outside temperature of 33C. I’m confident. I would be willing to bet or engage in a race!

Cheers!

• EHE says:

I don’t disagree that Ioniq has a lot of advantage at high speed driving. And I also think that the size of the battery is not to essential as long as the charging infrastructure is sufficient. But it might be that you will experience to have a queue at the charging station, and will have to wait a few minutes before you can start charging. In that case it is an advantage to be able to reduce the number of stops needes for charging. To be able to take advantage of high speed charging you will need to have available charging stations at optimum positions and they can not be occupied by other EV’s.

For me the e-golf with 31,5kWh available capacity is more than sufficient. For longer roadtrips it might give better flexibility with a larger battery pack, but it is not really a problem to stop every 200 km to charge. Like most people I don’t drive more than 30 km on a normal day and actually don’t care if the maximum range is 250,500 or 1000 km.

• Jonas Jovial says:

The Ioniq can be very efficient, but the price is to high and the availability is to low! Also, has you know there are some problems with the Ioniq that are not acceptable: for some reason, it does not complies very well with the PCR charging protocols, making the PCR shutdown, if the PCR has limited power, and it seems it looses the memory settings defined by the driver from time to time. This can be very frustrating!

I do car about efficiency, but i can’t stand with bugs like this! For that, i have windows 😀

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with such clarity.

I think that the new Nissan Leaf will be easier to sell mainly because: better availability; regular discounts and higher advertised range (378 vs 280 km in NEDC). Most people don’t know that the NEDC test cycle is unrealistic, Nissan will take advantage of this fact to appeal to a broader clientele.

On the other hand, for better informed buyers like yourself – that care about efficiency -, the IONIQ EV is very appealing.

To sum up, the new Leaf is a more mass-market electric car, while the IONIQ EV enters very well into a niche (ex-prius drivers that really care about efficiency). Until Toyota comes up with a Prius EV, Hyundai have the chance to steal away many loyal clients from its rival.

7. Reijer says:

I tested the Hyundai Ioniq a few weeks ago in Amsterdam with a new car sharing program (https://cleantechnica.com/2017/10/05/hyundai-launching-1st-fully-electric-carsharing-program-amsterdam/). Next to that I own a 2013 Nissan Leaf. The Ioniq charges about 66% faster on the 10-90 cyclus than my Leaf (on a 50 kW charger, difference will be a lot greater on a 100 kW charger). Next to that the Ioniq was about 30% more effient on the highway. This makes a bike advantage for the Ioniq for making road trips.

8. Ralf K. says:

[quote]It’s curious that in its domestic market (South Korea) – where it’s not very difficult to get one -, the all electric variant regularly outsells the hybrid variant. Hyundai was expecting to be the other way around.
    [/quote]

South Korea essentially is an island for a car driver – 200 km wide, and 400 km tall. This “island” type of area makes BEVs benenficial to PHEVs, as there can be no long trips. In combination with people being used to charge their cell phones, BEVs become familiar. In contrast, ICE cars have emissions, need more maintenance, make awkward noises, may require manual shifting which is a major obstacle to learn to drive a car.

Once pricing is feasible for the BEV car and there is a sufficient number of charging stations (and home-charge ability), I consider BEV is a no brainer in South Korea. However, this island character is not applicable to many larger countries.

Definitely range is more important in some areas than others.

Nevertheless, I’m sure that the current electric version – even with limited range – would outsell the hybrid in every country if it had the same price. Technically there’s not reason to cost more, Hyundai just doesn’t want to kill the ICE yet.

9. laurentien says:

Well, Nissan will be implementing the changes that Renault brought to the Zoe as Renault is the decision maker now, and the Zoe is still the best mass production EV on the planet almost comparable to the Teslas. So the Zoe is now running at 300 km + before Inoniq. Still the Renault is a the top and some friends told me to avoid the Leaf and aim for the Zoe.

10. Reijer says:

It’s the 24 kWh battery with about 85% left. The car starts at around 38 kW but around 55-60% it starts to slow down to around 20 kW by 85%. The Ioniq still charged about 40 kW with a 85% level of charge.
    I made a list of all my fast charges for the last 1,5 years:

11. ABE Fluence says:

I can see local sales problem with this

Cheaper, better battery (35.9kwh) and range. AC three phase recharge, so you can do fast charge at home or cheaper outside.

PD: Nice car. My 5 years old Fluence ZE dreams about getting that battery (LG) and me too.