2018 Nissan Leaf: first glimpse at specs and prices

2018 Nissan Leaf unofficial configurator by Autobytel

Spoiler alert: better specs and lower price.

We’re now less than a month away from the official 2018 Nissan Leaf presentation. As expected, some leaks about specs and prices are already emerging.

However, Autobytel is the first reputable source to unveil the 2018 Nissan Leaf specs and prices in great detail. I think that this information was leaked by some dealer that already has access to an official Nissan online configurator, just like what happened in the past – when the 30 kWh battery was introduced.

Without further ado, here you have some of the most interesting specs:

2018 Nissan Leaf unofficial specifications

Notice that the 2018 Nissan Leaf is bigger and heavier than the outgoing 2017 version. However, Nissan managed to make it more efficient by improving the aerodynamics and the powertrain.

The specs of the electric motor (110 kW) and battery (40 kWh) offered without a price increase are very much in line with what I expected all along. I just wasn’t expecting that the launch of this new improved Leaf was postponed by a whole year since I announced it a year ago. I now understand that the ProPILOT tweaking and the ongoing battery negotiations required to gradually move away from AESC to LG Chem, prevented it to happen sooner.

Now the biggest piece of the puzzle still missing is when will the bigger LG Chem battery option come to the higher trims and how much capacity will it have. I’m starting to doubt it’ll be 60 kWh, more likely to be around 50 kWh, just enough to get 200 miles (322 km) EPA range. Remember that Nissan doesn’t want to make the Leaf more expensive than it already is.

Anyways, as you already know, until Nissan finally unveils the official specs and prices, consider these figures as “pre-official”, but very, very likely to be confirmed soon.

I’m still curious to see if Nissan will finally offer the possibility to get a 3-phase internal charger in Europe. I’m convinced that it’s going to happen and I’ll be disappointed if it doesn’t.

Thanks “Leaf” for the heads up!

PS: I want to thank all the people that regularly send me emails with news or suggesting material for new articles (I read them all), unfortunately my time is limited and I’ll prioritize news related to what matters the most now, by this I mean the TM3 and the new and improved 2018 Nissan Leaf.

What do you think about these specs? Are they what you were expecting or not? What information is still missing that you want to know about this electric car?

More than natural resources, are wasted human resources that bothers me the most. That's why I'm a strong advocate of a society based on cooperation, not competition, that helps every individual to reach his full potential so that he can contribute back to society. "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs".

1. Suso says:

Thanks for all the data! Things are getting really interesting 🙂

Does anybody know what’s “interior cargo volume”? 668 liters is obviously too much for the cargo space…

The max cargo space (with rear seat down) appears to be unchanged at 30 cu.ft. (850 liters).

• Suso says:

Then it makes even less sense 😉 I was wondering if they had managed to put more space in the front as Tesla, but taking into account those max 850 liters then it looks a mistake

2. Hans Wurst says:

Here’s hoping for 40, 50, and 60 kWh, and a decent BMS, for the three trims!

3. Ken says:

Great article Pedro! But how do you know this new Leaf version will be heavier? And I can’t find any consumption numbers here… so how do you know that it is more efficient?

4. Elmo says:

I’m curious if it is allowed to tow Anthony. Really important for my next car.
    M3 should have ability to tow but nothing to find about. Currently driving an ioniq ev which really works out for me despite the 240km I need to travel every day.

5. Pete says:

Its the cheap Model 3 killer, because Model 3 you will not get under 45 $ before end 2018. And you will also get no Model 3 in Europe, Japan or Uk before mid 2018 with higher price.

The Leaf will offer the best value for the best price.

• Sacbal says:

True. The Leaf would offer the higher value, even though its cost per miles may be lower. People do not value all miles the same. The first 50 miles have a lot more value than the last 50 miles of range.

6. James says:

Good find Pedro, and a good jump from the current 80kw motor. And I’m with you on the higher trim battery. Not sure how accurate the pricing is on the above screen capture — but given those prices I can’t see a higher capacity battery… but we’ll see.

7. Blake says:

Air cooled battery or liquid cooled? That makes a HUGE difference in degradation.

• facile says:

We really need to know about that. It’s #1 issue for me.

The LG Chem battery for the longer range option will definitely have TMS (Thermal Management System) and faster DC charging, as for the entry-level AESC battery I’m not that sure.

• Sacbal says:

Unless you are living in Arizona, why should that make a difference? At maximum 108 kW discharge, you are generating very little heat in the battery that needs cooling.

8. facile says:

Hi Pedro. Why do you think the new Leaf is just a facelift? Is it for the wheelbase? All the measurements change a little bit but the wheelbase. Facelifts usually don’t change sizes or do it by 1 or 2 mm. 2018 Leaf is bigger, even changes turning radius. Maybe some sizes remain the same because autobytel doesn’t know them yet and just copy-pasted the 2017 Leaf ones.

• Nada says:

Wheelbase is the keystat for being on the same platform…
      It is easy to make cars longer and wider by several cm not just mm wirh a facelift as you are only wideing or leghtning the body…
      Wheelbase is the frame per say that the car sits on and changing that is major work…

Hi facile.

Just look at the cars from the side, they are exactly the same between the A and C pillars. The 2018 Leaf just got a nice makeover in the front and back.

9. Another Euro point of view says:

This thing should sell well. The pricing is exactly right for its specs. Looks like Nissan was right with the “heavy refresh” recipe as to keep costs down. Looking forward to 2018 to see how well it sell.

10. Chester Koenig says:

“The “good news” is that since this 2018 Nissan Leaf is more a facelift than a new generation, I expect production to reach high levels right from the start without major difficulties.”

Why would you say that this isn’t a new generation? From my understanding, pretty much every piece in the vehicle that we know of is new, so I can’t understand your logic in that statement.

It’s funny because internally Nissan calls it a facelift, however “new generation” sounds better to sell to the public.

I’m cool with both designations, since for me it’s a great improvement, better specs and lower prices is the combination needed to make electric cars mainstream.

11. David S. says:

I don’t see battery capacity listed in the specs… How can you know the prices shown are not for the current 30 kWh battery ?

12. Ken says:

And now the web pages are removed?

Was this a marketing stunt, or something that autobytel leaked without intention, or was this wrong information?

13. Sacbal says:

Sounds about right. I think 45 kWh would have been ideal. 40 kWh translates to about 38 kWh usable or 145 mi or 233 km range, and that is cutting it pretty close. MPGe would be about 122. A future 54 kWh release will provide 200 miles range.

14. Sacbal says:

I have a value ranking for EVs that is not based on simply $/range miles. It is based on a depreciation of range — as that is how useful an EV may be. An EV with 100 mile range is not half is useful and valuable as an EV with 200 mile range. It is a lot more (76% according to my measure). And an EV with 200 miles range is not half as valuable as a 400 mil range EV.

It all depends on a logarithmic scale, instead of a linear scale, and how the 2nd 100 miles is worth compared to the first 100 miles. In my estimation below, I have assumed that the 2nd 100 miles is worth only half the first 100 miles of range (and miles 200 to 300 are worth only 1/4 of 0 to 100). Under this logarithmic depreciated measure, we get the following values:

1) T3SR at $219/mi

1) T3LR
    Bolt
    T3SR
    Leaf II
    Ioniq

• facile says:

I think I get your point. In my case, 400 mile range EV is suitable for 100% of my trips, while a 200 mile range EV is still good for 95% of them and I will just have to take the train or rent a car once or twice a year. So, I have to consider if it is worth to pay a lot more for that 400-mile or 300-mile battery. Sadly, a 150 mile range EV would not be enough for my daily commute, they are out of my list.