New details on the 2018 Nissan Leaf

2018 Nissan Leaf rendering by Carscoops

Now we have more details to compare the old and new generation Nissan Leaf.

James from the Electrified Journeys Japan YouTube channel brings us new information on the 2018 Nissan Leaf. His friend tested the new 2018 Nissan Leaf, so James made a great video summing up the whole experience.

Let’s sum up the best parts:

• Battery capacity increases by 30 % from 30 to about 39 kWh.

Not surprising, considering that if we look at the new Eaton Nissan xStorage battery capacity, the math points to 38,4 kWh. However, Nissan has always reported the total battery capacity, but I’ve been told that from now on, only the usable battery capacity would be advertised – the same way Renault does with its electric cars. If this proves to be true, it would mean that the 38,4 kWh would be usable capacity. Yet, it’s better to count with 38,4 kWh of total capacity, to not be disappointed with the unveil.

• Nissan didn’t reach a deal with LG Chem and keeps the AESC battery cell production going for now.

The new Nissan Leaf made in Japan will get its batteries from Smyrna, Tennessee in the USA, while the European Nissan Leaf will get its batteries from Sunderland, UK.

• It’s quieter, the high pitched noise is gone.

• More powerful motor, probably over 100 kW.

• Super strong regenerative braking that completely stops the car – maybe even surpassing the BMW i3.

• Interior didn’t change much.

• Available to order in early October, after the official unveil in September.

Regarding the battery capacity, this is just the confirmation of what we already knew since last year. While an EPA range of 150-160 miles (241-257 km) isn’t enough for everyone, it’s certainly great for most people. However I’m confident that in a year or two a bigger battery capacity option will be available in the higher trims, to reach more potential buyers.

Furthermore, if – as I expect – it has a starting price of 30.000 €, instead of the 40.000 € that the Opel Ampera-e costs in Europe, I think that the new Nissan Leaf will be a much more successful electric car, since 10.000 € is lot of cash.

I wonder if the new Nissan Leaf can match the maximum DC fast charging rate of the Hyundai IONIQ Electric at 70 kW, or it’s still limited to 50 kW. I also want to know where it stands regarding efficiency and more important its starting price.

How about you? What you already know is enough to decide if you like the 2018 Nissan Leaf? Or there is still important information missing?

More than natural resources, are wasted human resources that bothers me the most. That’s why I’m a strong advocate of a society based on cooperation, not competition, that helps every individual to reach his full potential so that he can contribute back to society. “From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs”.

1. jhm614 says:

As long as it is priced correctly and the exterior redesign is appealing, Leaf 2.0 is going to be a strong competitor. Nissan will take some grief for launching with a 40kWh battery – but once again, pricing is key. In fact, after driving an 83 mile Leaf for 6 years, a 150 mile range will seem incredible! More power and stronger Regen sounds great, too. I do hope the heat pump is available on the base model. I also hope the 40kWh battery let’s them offer a 10 year / 100,000 mile 75% capacity warranty. Can’t wait to see the new car in September!

• yoatmon says:

“As long as it is priced corectly….”
      I’m convinced that the price will evolve to a real bone of contention. Nissan and Renault have taken Mitsubishi into their boat. All three manufacturers have agreed on a a common platform that will serve Renault Zoe, Nissan Leaf, and Mitsubishi “?”. They have estimated that this scheme will allow a price reduction of overall 25%. The big question now is, has this scenario been considered for the 2018 Leaf? If so, I can’t follow the price estimations that have been so far given for the new generation Leaf despite all the new features being introduced to the new Leaf model. At the worst, prices should remain as they are.
      What is to be expected in terms of price? Are the MFRCs being honest on implicated reductions or are they intending to stuff their own pockets at the expense of their customers?

2. Ff ff says:

Any News/guesses on when e-nv200 will be upgraded in terms of battery capacity?

3. David says:

Even though I have a Tesla model 3 reserved I can’t wait for a new LEAF. For anyone who doesn’t know, they are brilliant cars.

4. Mike M. says:

The Ioniq charging rate is 100 kW, not 70 kW.

• Stephen says:

Nonsense it’s advertised in some regions as 100kW but is actually only 70kW in reality

• apkungen says:

Not sure about that. I’ve seen regen go up to 85kW. The car could be limited to 70kw from a 100kw charger but could potentially charge at 100kw from a say 150 kw charger. Because the charger can’t put out high enough amperage at the batteries given voltage.

5. Nada says:

In the video it sound like it has the same seats and general interior minus the insturments which would be a cost saving thing…
    But if that is true then it sounds like it is not a gen 2 leaf but a redesigned and upgraded gen 1??
    With a 40kw battery I would think the price holds at todays rate otherwise who would chose a 40kw Leaf over a 60kw Bolt and Model3…

• Toni says:

It was pretty clear that it is not gen 2 from the spy shots of the camouflaged test mule.

Yes, it’s more a facelift than a new generation, but Nissan calls it a second generation Leaf and I’m cool with that.

• Toni says:

Let’s hope it will get at least a liquid cooled battery and 70-80kW CCS. If not, all the work on making it pretty is just wasted resources!

• Jeff Songster says:

Folks who drive LEAFs know that DC Quick charge speeds matter. 40kW that rebounds to 80% in 20 minutes is preferred to 60kW that requires 90 minutes to get to the same or less. Apparently along with seats that are less comfy the BOLT also has a slow DC charger setup. Often on my LEAF 10 minutes DCFC is enough to get me home. We love our 2 LEAFs and think a new one is certainly worth considering. Hoping there is a 50kW battery too to give a little more range with same DCQC speed to 80%. Used Teslas are also very worthy of consideration.

6. Joe says:

Can Regen actually stop a car in a reasonable amount of time? As I understand most Regen just allows the motor to spin freely to apply breaking but at low speeds around 10 mph and below regular breaks are needed to bring the vehicle to a stop and hold it there.

• jhm614 says:

I haven’t driven an i3 but I have test drive a Bolt twice. It has much, much stronger Regin than my Leaf – at ‘city street’ speeds the re-gen is enough to completely stop the Bolt.

• Keith says:

The bmw i3 is prettymuch one pedal driving
      Yes it can stop to zero if you lift off in time it is a brilliant way to drive

7. jheartney says:

Active thermal management for the battery? That’s key if there’s to be a decent fast charge rate. Otherwise it won’t be able to sustain 50 kw, much less 70 or more. Not to mention necessary for use in hot climates.

• jim stack says:

Battery COOLING is KEY. Without it I will never lease or own a LEAF again. It degrades 5-10% a year here in the greater Phoenix area.

8. KM says:

At some point in the video he says that Nissan chose not to offer 60 kWh battery just yet due to most rapid chargers being too slow. That does not make sense because a bigger battery would allow many people to just skip rapids. I need a car that will get my family to the airport in the middle of the night and back or to the beach on a single charge. Personally a bit disappointed but hope sales will continue to grow and 60 kWh is just around the corner. I read recently a comment from UK taxi driver saying that he does about 100 miles a day and looking to buy an EV. This car could easily meet his needs. I expect taxis to drop ICE in Europe as the costs are so much lower for EVs. This will give their customers an opportunity to taste the quiet EV ride for themselves and hopefully become converts too.

9. NS says:

What boring film,drones on and on,nodded off twice,he could form an
    Olympic boring team. Did he actually mention the carur

10. What about towing certification for light trailers ?

11. Carl-Johan Larsson says:

After drivning EVs for more than 5 years, most important improvements i think are 3-phase charging and faster DC charging.
    Range is not a problem if you can charge fast. Larger motor, >150 Kw would be fun.

12. mg says:

On the side note: very interesting point about not reaching a deal with LG when appearently the chemistry company in recent years was willing to sign a supply contract for cells for any passible ev. Along with some reports about production constraints circulating about Ioniq and current scale of LG-propelled EVs production(Bolt with production of about 3k/month(US+CA+Nor+stock building), Zoe(4k), Ioniq(1.2k and reportedly increasing production), Volt(2,5 k/month), + couple of other cars) I’m estimating that the are at about 600MWh/month(or 7GWh/yr) – and given that they are also obligated to deliver even more for current clients(Bolt was reported to be able to deliver up to 50k this year so about 4.2k/month) they might by already capacity constrained for at least time needed to finish the current expansion(US, China factory expansion, Polish factory construction). That would also lower my previous estimations of current LG capacity(from 10 GWh to about 8GWh/yr), and for capacity at the end of 2019(from 20 to about 17 GWh/yr)

13. apkungen says:

Okay so the new leaf will get around 40kwh of battery, the ampera-e has 60kwh. For the customer that should really not have to mean more than 250usd/kwh higher sticker price. 20kwh diff is 4500eur. They should really have made room for 60kwh battery right away. Definitely worth 4500eur.

14. Tony says:

I won’t replace my current 30kWh leaf with a 40. Not a big enough improvement in range. My lease is up next year so will have to look elsewhere.

15. Leaf says:

video taken down by nissan? 😉

16. Pierre says:

I guess many were expecting a bigger battery (60Kwh) however I tend to believe that by favoring a reasonable price (EUR 30K) over a bigger battery Nissan made the right choice. GM took another path for the Bolt and fitted an expensive battery on what is otherwise a car looking EUR 15K (the Bolt). As it does not seem to sell so well in the US, not sure it was the right mix. If someone really wants a big range, then PHEV is likely the best choice (Volt, Passat GTE, Mitsu Outlander).

• Toni says:

The Tesal 3 will be probalby 35K-37K EUR in Europe.
      A 39kW battery without liquid cooling, no CCS and no charging network is simply not worth it for only 5k-7k less.

• Pierre says:

I wouldn’t know, all I remember is that I had the chip able to relate the word “T***a” surgically removed from my brain as not to be exposed to excess of hype and fanboism anymore. So no clue what “T***a” means, is it a soda brand ?

• Seamus Lavery says:

Say what you like but Tesla, with their Super Charger network are the only ones taking infrastructure seriously, especially in the US.

17. Erik says:

39kWh – nope, 50 ~ 60 minimum
    AESC – nope, “Worlds fastest degrading batteries!”

It seems to me it’s just an original Leaf with restyled front and back and a little higher density battery pack.

And where’s the video?

James removed the video and made a new one with apologies to Nissan for releasing undisclosed information, then he removed this one too.

However, when LG Chem battery cell plant in Poland starts production and the plant in China gets unblocked by the Chinese Government, LG Chem will have enough production capacity to offer Nissan a good deal. Nissan Leaf is sold worldwide and needs a lot of batteries.

Unfortunately Nissan is already far being competition in electric car technology, they couldn’t wait another year for LG Chem to get its production problems solved.

18. Himanshu says:

Faster Charging is the need of the hour.With The Level 3 charger can drastically reduce charging time.