Nissan Leaf gets a price cut

2017 Nissan Leaf

We all know what comes after a price cut…

The first country to get the price cut is a very important EV market in Europe, France.

Nissan Leaf’s mid and high versions (Acenta and Tekna) get a 1.400 € price cut in France, but other countries will follow.

You probably don’t care about this price drop and want to know more about the upcoming new Nissan Leaf. There is a lot of information – and noise – behind the curtains and I won’t make the same mistake I did before when I published the initial release dates – that were postponed time after time. I learned my lesson and won’t announce any more dates until they are official, because when the automaker decides to delay the initial plan, it is the messenger who puts his reputation at stake – not the automaker that decided to make the delay.

What I can tell you is that Nissan had good reasons to delay the improved Nissan Leaf release. We can’t have car drivers beta testing safety features. The final ProPILOT tests take place this month in London and are going to worth the wait.

But further improving ProPILOT may not be the only reason why Nissan decided to wait, there is the possibility that the new AESC battery cells are going to be used only in the Eaton Nissan xStorage and LG Chem finally convinced Nissan to use their battery cells in the Leaf. As I said before, there is a lot of noise behind the curtains.

If you don’t want any drama with all these hesitations you should look at the Hyundai IONIQ Electric, that I consider to be the best all-around electric car available in its price range.

Don’t let this Nissan Leaf Mexican soap opera make you think that 2017 won’t be a great year for electric cars, because it will. The Gigafactory, the Tesla Model 3 and the LG Chem battery cell plant in Poland make 2017 an important year and are cornerstones needed to Push EVs into mass adoption.

Nissan Leaf 2017 : baisse de prix et nouvelle finition Business

Rumor. El Nissan LEAF Tekna+ se presentará en el Salón de Ginebra. Más de 40 kWh y Propilot

More than natural resources, are wasted human resources that bothers me the most. That's why I'm a strong advocate of a society based on cooperation, not competition, that helps every individual to reach his full potential so that he can contribute back to society. "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs".

1. Ff says:

Hi, good you are back Pedro.
    You mention leaf above, but what happens with the new e-nv200?
    A car saler in Norway indicated new version by END of 2017.

2. Pedro Lima says:

Carlos Ghosn has two immediate problems to solve.

From his latest statements it’s clear that he wants to get rid of AESC and outsource the battery technology development – to focus in other electric car components. Another “problem” is that ProPILOT needs to be stable, not alpha or beta.

Only when these two problems are solved, the official announcement to clarify things will come.

3. Rik says:

What about the eNV200 that is compatible only with the 24kWh now production stopped ??

4. Jonas Jovial says:

I know think it does not make any sense to release a new version now, to then release a newer version in the beginning of next year. So, i do no longer expect any news this year. Leaf still sells very well, because Ampera-e is just a compliance car and Ioniq is only present at a few markets in Europe and wont make very big moss on the Leaf sales.

However a question remains: if Nissan is no longer going to use AESC cells, what will it happen to owners needing to replace their older Leaf batteries?

5. Fernando says:

Jonas Jovial,

We will test an Ioniq EV in Portugal this or next month not sure about the right date (but was already agreed with hyundai). I think it wil be available for all Europe and it will be a great addition to the EV fleet.

6. Jonas Jovial says:

Hi:

And any idea of the price? Because if the price follows the trend of the hybrid version, they can forget about it…

• Fernando says:

Hello,
      No idea since is a company car and i’m not the decision maker 😀
      I think it should be priced the same as the tekna but I really don’t know.

7. Erik says:

I commend you for not speculating anymore on release dates.

Personally I can’t wait for all the cards to be on the table (new Leaf, Ampera-e price, more Model 3 info) to base my decisions on a new car on. If the 3 mentioned are too expensive or too far on the horizon an Ioniq Hybrid is the most likely candidate at the moment…

8. Frank says:

I know it’s a Leaf topic, but I was waiting for an upgraded Leaf (I live in Canada) but VW will bring the e-Golf next summer. Where I live, we get >30 degrees Celcius during summer and -30 during winter. Leaf and e-Golf as almost the same battery technology, so what is worse for the battery, extremely cold or extremely hot?

Also, I read things on the new e-Golf since a year but I didn’t find any test drive on the internet yet. Did you find something about this? Thanks.

Batteries work best at 20-25º C, just like people.

The first 24 kWh batteries of the Nissan Leaf were a mess. They had everything to go wrong. No active cooling, battery cells on top of each-other – difficulting passive heat dissipation – and the weakest chemistry available (LMO). Now the 30 kWh batteries are finally NMC, a much better chemistry.

If you want to learn more check out this link (especially the Table 1):

For an electric car’s battery, it’s much better 30ºC than -30ºC.

At -30ºC you’ll have roughly half the range, this means you’ll double the charge/discharge cycles for the same distance.

At warmer temperatures you should charge and discharge at lower rates, to do this avoid fast charging and driving at high speeds. You should also avoid to charge more than 80 % and discharge below 20 %. Using only 60 % of the battery gives it the best lifespan.

Regarding the Volkswagen e-Golf, car magazine journalists will have the opportunity to test drive it in late March. You’ll see many reviews then.

I hope this helps.

• Frank says:

Thanks for the infos. If the car is always pre-heated (I suppose that the e-Golf can preheat the battery and the cabin also), I suppose it will help the range but also the durability?

VW will buyback my TDI soon, so I was considering the e-Golf but I’m not sure anynmore and I think it is not a very good idea in my situation to get a EV without TMS.

If this Leaf 1.5 exists for real with a 45 kwh TMS, I think it would be a better choice, but too much information is missing to take a good decision. e-Golf price is still unknown here.

Thanks again.

In your case of extremely low temperatures, I would probably consider a PHEV. Such as a second generation Volt, a Prius Prime or even wait for the Hyundai IONIQ PHEV.

Have a look at the Renault Zoe range calculator to estimate how much range you’ll lose:

The minimum temperature available in the calculator is -15ºC, -30ºC is just insane and the Zoe has a TMS.

• Frank says:

I don’t want any hybrid. Volt is only 5000$ less than the Bolt here, I think I would go for the Bolt if the Bolt was the perfect car for me, but it is not.

In fact, almost all EV available right now are too small for my needs (same thing for the PHEV that you suggest). I have a Golf Sportwagen and always have a box on the roof.

If I choose the e-Golf or the Leaf, it would be for a “short” period because it’s not the perfect car for me. I have one car and mostly drive on the highway during weekend. I might choose a used (gas or hybrid) car and wait about 2 years for the “almost perfect EV”.

The dieselgate is rushing me I would say!

• Frank says:

Pedro, do you think that with TMS, and using pre-heat, it is that bad for an EV between -20 and -30? If the Leaf 41kwh (LG chem with TMS) comes this year at a good price, it could be an option

Frank every car is different. It also depends of its thermal isolation.

To be sure I recommend that you test it in those worst weather conditions before you buy. The less range you get per charge, the more charge/discharge cycles the battery will be submitted to.

• Jonas Jovial says:

Frank:

the Leaf has a battery heating system for some regions. Probably for your region, the Leaf is sold with that system. You should ask at the dealership.

Regards.