New details for the improved Volkswagen e-Golf

Volkswagen e-golf

Not only bigger battery but also more powerful motor.

Last Saturday, at Formula E race in Berlin, Volkmar Tanneberger, Head of Volkswagen’s Electrics/Electronics Development, revealed more information about the improved Volkswagen e-Golf that will arrive in autumn later this year.

That a bigger battery would come was already known, what’s new it’s a more powerful motor.

This is what changes:

• Motor: 85 kW -> 120 kW
  • Cells: 25 Ah -> 37 Ah
  • Battery: 24,2 kWh -> 35,8 kWh
  • NEDC Range: 190 km -> 300 km

The disappointments:

• CCS is limited to 50 kW, 75-100 kW would be nice
  • Still no three phase charging (it should be at least offered as option)

Three phase charging and faster CCS would help to differentiate from the upcoming Opel Ampera-e with 60 kWh battery.

The surprise also comes from the NEDC range that increases 58 %, while the battery capacity only improves by 48 %. The fact that the new improved BMW i3 reached 312/300 km range goal (depending on wheel trims) can explain why Volkswagen felt the need to also reach it. A more efficient motor and some aerodynamic teaks can justify the 10 % difference between the battery capacity and range increase. The real world range is around 200 km for both improved BMW i3 and Volkswagen e-Golf.

Price is still unknown, but it will probably remain the same since there are many alternatives coming. Volkswagen and BMW will have to advertised them really well, or else risk to be surpassed by the less premium Opel brand with the Opel Ampera-e.

The fact that the old 24,2 kWh battery will be discontinued and Volkswagen will focus on the new 35,8 kWh battery is in my opinion a good decision.

More than natural resources, are wasted human resources that bothers me the most. That's why I'm a strong advocate of a society based on cooperation, not competition, that helps every individual to reach his full potential so that he can contribute back to society. "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs".

1. sapcmc says:

3.6 kW AC charging, VW is basically joking with us.

Since the e-Golf already has 7,2 kW AC charging standard in the USA, I think sooner or later it will come to Europe too. It’s the minimum acceptable right now.

2. EHE says:

3.6 kW AC charging is sufficient. At home you dont need higher charging speed. When you are on a longer trip you will need fast DC charging anyway. I have the current version of the e-golf and charge at home with a 13A 230V wall box. I have never had the need for faster AC charging.

On longer trips, AC charging is never an option. 7,2kW or 11kW is far to slow compared with 40KW DC charging anyway.

With a larger battery the need for faster AC chargin will be even less important, since there will be less chance that you will need any extra charging during daytime.

• sapcmc says:

You say that because you don´t have more AC. I have a GTE and a Renault ZOE and I find faster AC charging VERY VERY useful.

All BEVs should have at least 7.2 kW AC single phase and 11 kW three phase.

Maybe where you live there are plenty DC charging stations but not where I live.

This costs manufacturers less than 100 EUR of manufacturing costs and can many times mean a big difference between reaching destination on time or not.

• EHE says:

I would never go on a long trip with 7.2kW or 11KW AC charging as the only option. If I need to drive 400km I will have to recharge 3 times. That is no problem when I can use a40KW DC charger. With 11KW AC charging the trip will take two hours extra in charging time. So that is not an option.

And with an avarage driving distance of 30-40 km a day, it does not matter if it takes 1 hour or 3 hours to recharge on a normal day.

I dont belive it will only cost 100 EUR extra to get an 11KW charger instead of a 3.6KW charger. Tesla takes about 1300 EUR extra just for upgrading from 11KW to 16.5KW.

3. sapcmc says:

Yes and the GTE has 7,2 kW AC so a total joke of VW to offer this kind of car to consumers.

4. Ralf K says:

I read, the new e-Golf will get the 7,2kW AC onboard charger _as an option_ when it will be available at the end of 2016.
    Sorry, i don’t have a reference right now.